Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cometic? ARP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cometic? ARP?

I am ordering the final touches for my new motor, and need some help.
I want to run ARP head studs, but am on a tight budget right now, and the heads will be changed in a few months, and when I do change them, I can spend the extra money on head studs.

So I ask...can the factory GM head bolt hold up to a 200 shot?

I have a 347 forged LS1 with flat top pistons with either -4cc or -2cc valve reliefs. Stock '98 heads with Patriot Gold Extreme springs, hardened 7.4" pushrods, and a 240/244 .608/.596 113 cam.....what size head gasket should I run on this motor, it will be seeing a 200 shot.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

You should be able to hit a 200 as long the bolts are tightened down good enough, you dont want to lift the heads.

Thats a pretty big cam so if i were you i would measure PTV clearance before you make a final decision on gasket size. You might not have much more room to play with.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Well on my old motor(stock motor) it had enough clearance...so with the reliefs I have to have enough.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, if you scrape up the couple hundred bucks now it's well worth it. You'll have an easier time swapping heads later and you won't have to worry about getting all of the coolant out of the bolt holes when it's time to swap later.
The other benefit to the studs are that you are using a real torque spec when you tighten them down. Not torque to yield and hope that all the bolts stretch the same. A 200 shot is a big shot so for a couple hundred bucks why not save yourself some trouble and risk.

BTW: Where are you located on LI? Your screen name sounds familiar, you on fastlsx?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

I've probably met you...haha. I think I am gunna get the studs, i'm just tight on money. BAH!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Honestly, if you scrape up the couple hundred bucks now it's well worth it. You'll have an easier time swapping heads later and you won't have to worry about getting all of the coolant out of the bolt holes when it's time to swap later.
The other benefit to the studs are that you are using a real torque spec when you tighten them down. Not torque to yield and hope that all the bolts stretch the same. A 200 shot is a big shot so for a couple hundred bucks why not save yourself some trouble and risk.

BTW: Where are you located on LI? Your screen name sounds familiar, you on fastlsx?

I agree on all points. Much better to go ahead and wait a bit, buy the studs now and do it right the first time.