Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! New 408 will crank and backfire but not start

Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! New 408 will crank and backfire but not start

I am trying to fire up my HPE 408. The car has a nitro dave's victor jr converted to fuel injection and has a baseline tune by Rapid Motorsports. The car has full bolt ons and all supporting mods. It also has a th400. i double checked the wiring and everything is good. The starter is getting 12 volts the fuel pump primes. Everything works as normal and the car turns over normally. However, the car will not start up. I am getting about 150 cranking rpms. The car has a new starter as I thought the old one was bad but the car still has the same problem. I hooked up the data logger and all of the sensors are reading correctly (TPS,rpm, O2's). The car is getting spark and plenty of fuel. I changed the plugs as the old ones were soaked with fuel but still have the same problem. Any idea of what other areas to check or what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
T.C.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOZR1
I am trying to fire up my HPE 408. The car has a nitro dave's victor jr converted to fuel injection and has a baseline tune by Rapid Motorsports. The car has full bolt ons and all supporting mods. It also has a th400. i double checked the wiring and everything is good. The starter is getting 12 volts the fuel pump primes. Everything works as normal and the car turns over normally. However, the car will not start up. I am getting about 150 cranking rpms. The car has a new starter as I thought the old one was bad but the car still has the same problem. I hooked up the data logger and all of the sensors are reading correctly (TPS,rpm, O2's). The car is getting spark and plenty of fuel. I changed the plugs as the old ones were soaked with fuel but still have the same problem. Any idea of what other areas to check or what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
T.C.
Well it does sound like you have checked all of the possibilities... It really sounds like a fuel delivery problem this is a head scratcher....
Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition issue....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Had the same problem once and it was a blown fuse on one bank of coil packs. Do you know what your fuel pressure is?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i beleive i helped him figure out his problem.... let me know if that was it tracy..... then bring that thing down.....
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my coil wires all backwards after doing my haeds and cam.. Was that it?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
I had my coil wires all backwards after doing my haeds and cam.. Was that it?

he did the coil pack relocation and i beleive thats what it is.... ill find one once he checks it...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems that he wrote, sounds like it. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

We are looking at the coil packs tonight. I hope that's all it is. Wish us luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been helping Nozr1 install the engine in his car and went over tonight to check it out.

It was not the coil packs. We are getting plenty of spark and I confirmed all of the coild packs are wired up correctly by using another car as the template.

Could it possibly be the tune? I wouldn't think it would be that far off for it not to start but it is still a possibility.

I would think the cam sensor and crank sensor are correct as the car has plenty of spark at what seems to be the "correct timing" and I would think those sensors would stop the spark entirely. I am an old school lt1 guy but I would think the same stuff would apply. You can smell fuel and the spark plugs get plenty wet (we changed these out).

The car will studder a little when first started and backfire a little. If you hold the throttle at WOT and let it close while cranking it will backfire again.

I am going to try some starting fluid and check the fuel psi but if that is not the case the only other thing it could be is cam timing. Is there any easy way to check cam timing on an LS1 without pulling the front cover? (i.e.-is there a mark on the balancer that indicates the timing at TDC in correlation with the No 1 cylinder?)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions...we appreciate it.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

r u sure you have the right length pussrods?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the cam installed dot to dot? Could be off a link.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Crank sensor relearn?

Got access to TechII ?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAN-LS1
r u sure you have the right length pussrods?

The engine was assembled by frans96ss and he assured us that the correct 7.35" pushrods were installed as I had thought the same thing you had posted. I will also be bringing a compression tester just to get an idea if the engine is generating enough compression--this would also be a good way to check and see if the cam is off and/or the pushrods are incorrect.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasond26
is the cam installed dot to dot? Could be off a link.
I would think the engine would still be able to start although it would run like *** but maybe I am wrong. As I said before, I am more of an LT1 guy and the LS1 is a learning experience for me but I love to trouble shoot so it is killing me to not find the issue.

If the compression test comes up terrible than I will have to assume it is either the pushrod length is incorrect or cam timing. I am still assuming the engine is not the problem but everything we try keeps pointing to it. I need to eliminate any other easier variables before I go into the engine. I just want to try everything before having to tear into an engine that was supposed to be built correctly.

I would like to know if there is anything electrical that would cause this (i-e.-could the cam sensor/crank sensor be installed wrong?) (Any other sensors that could cause a no start condition?)

Fran---was the intake gaskets installed on the engine (the ones that gasket the intake to the heads?)

Thanks again for all of the suggestions...keep them coming.

Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nostang

Fran---was the intake gaskets installed on the engine (the ones that gasket the intake to the heads?)

Matt

of course matt....
Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
of course matt....

I just wanted to make sure as I know a lot of this custom stuff doesn't come with everything needed to install. Just double checking.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you searched the threads on the crank sensor relearn?

Do you have access to TECHII?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Have you searched the threads on the crank sensor relearn?

Do you have access to TECHII?

Nope but I will research this tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look towards cam timing or hung open valves. Crank relearn is hardly ever needed even with complete new builds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! New 408 will crank and backfire but not start