Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Bearings Install Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Bearings Install Help!!

im stuck installing new cam once found out that i need new cam bearings, ive never worked with that before so i had no idea how to do it then i found out theres a tool to install the bearings, now my question is does the tool work without having to pull out the motor or is it necessary to pull the whole thing out?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Even if you can get the tool to fit without having the engine out of the car it would be pretty much impossible for you to make sure you have the bearings in properly with the engine in the car.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be able to work from both ends of the engine. Half the bearings will come out through the front, and half through the back.

Last edited by John_D.; 10-19-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

damn thats not what i wanted to hear but all well might as well do it all right, i could of had everything all back together if it wasnt for those damn bearings but then again i do have 130k miles so might as well do everything right or regret it later. Thanks guys!! Any other parts you guy would suggest i should look into replacing other than new cam, valvetrain, pushrods, lifters, oilpump, timing chain, and cam bearings?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know you need new cam bearings? From what I understand, they'll look bronze/copper even when they're still in good shape. Might be able to save yourself a big hassle there.

Depending on the lift, you might want to put springs on the list, if they're not already.
(at first glance I figured valvetrain meant rockers, but you may have meant springs)
Old 10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what else You might need but thought I would share a little knowledge with You about installing a cam when the engine is out of the car to save damaging the bearings.
Lay the engine on its back on the floor (bellhousing side down) then You can lower the cam in the engine, gravity is Your friend this way rather than Your enemy, lol. Give it a try, You will love it! Having some long bolts or the timing gear on the front of the cam will keep You from dropping it. Carl.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by John_D.
How do you know you need new cam bearings? From what I understand, they'll look bronze/copper even when they're still in good shape. Might be able to save yourself a big hassle there.

Depending on the lift, you might want to put springs on the list, if they're not already.
(at first glance I figured valvetrain meant rockers, but you may have meant springs)
yeah i meant springs, reatainers and all that. now about the bearings yeah they are bronze/copper so i heard and read that if they are that color means they're worn out plus the cam slided out too easily (turning it to slide out obviously) so we put the new one back in and it slided in very easily no forcing or nothing and once it was inside it feels its a bit just a tiny bit loose on the first bearing, but then again i havent seen any shavings on the oil either. Let me say the main reason why i decided to do all this parts uprades, a couple weeksa ago after the track i started hearing a loud very constent ticking sound on the drivers side head which was louder when giving it gas and then notice my oil pressure was dropping alot at idleing and rising when reving, and nobody could tell me exactly what it was so i decided if it was something internal i might as well do the works. What you guys think?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chopper
I don't know what else You might need but thought I would share a little knowledge with You about installing a cam when the engine is out of the car to save damaging the bearings.
Lay the engine on its back on the floor (bellhousing side down) then You can lower the cam in the engine, gravity is Your friend this way rather than Your enemy, lol. Give it a try, You will love it! Having some long bolts or the timing gear on the front of the cam will keep You from dropping it. Carl.
I have thought about installing cams that way, just never tried. That is how the next one is going in. Glad to see it has been done and works! Sorry for the
Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dyls1
I have thought about installing cams that way, just never tried. That is how the next one is going in. Glad to see it has been done and works! Sorry for the
well i guess ill do the same once the engine's out makes sense and seems safe to do it that way, i cant afford any mistakes from this point on!