Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluctuating oil pressure after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluctuating oil pressure after cam install

FINALLY got the retard thats been working on my car to get it all back together and heard it run for the first time in a year (no thats not a typo this jackass has taken 9 months to do the cam swap lol). So we started it up the other night and my oil pressure was all over the place he said its probably the sender so we ran a mechanical guage and it read the same.

I searched here and found that the o-ring can cause fluctuations in oil pressure but nobody posted how bad it was. Startup car was at 20 then started to dip down he revved it up to just under 3k and it went to 30, let it idle and it dipped down to 5 (we shut it down). He said its either the oil pump or cam bearings, he checked the mains and rod bearings before putting the oil pan back on because there was metal in my oil when he dropped it (it was aluminum though just small flakes).

That was all last week so I did my search on here told him about the o-ring he said he had checked it before he put it back in. I said just order a new o-ring and oil pump and throw them in cars sitting outside again now.

Just wanted confirmation from anyone that had the o-ring go bad that it fluctuated this badly? Cause i really dont wanna replace that brand new LS6 ported oil pump for a stocker and waste me 300 i think i payed a year ago for it.

Did cam(t-rex), rockers(harland sharp 1.7), pushrods(PRC hardened), valve springs(forget which ones rated to .660 lift) lifters(comp r), oil pump(ls6 ported), timing chain(i forget lol), headers, y pipe, incase anyone wanted more info on everything that was done.

/end rant /long post

Thanks
Lou

If its just the o-ring i think i can get his lazy *** to do it today. Exactly 1 year to the day that the car has been off the road lol.

Last edited by raven_450; 10-20-2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added swap info
Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

For anyone that didnt want to read that wall of text i posted.

Will the pickup tube o-ring being bad make the oil fluctuate all the way down to 5 psi at idle?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

I would say 99% that it is the oil pump pickup o-ring. I have had a number of cams and changed cam timing and it happened to me once. There is a way to make absolutely sure you don't pinch the o-ring an also have the pump centered on the crank.

First, install the lubed up o-ring in the pump, not on the pickup tube. Next take the front cover off the oil pump and carefully remove the 2 gears making sure you keep them in the same direction. Now install the pump on the engine while looking through the front of the pump at the pickup tube going through the o-ring. You can clearly see if it installed correctly. Install the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the front of the engine loosely and center the pump on the crank gear. You should be able to get a .003 feeler guage between the pump housing and the crank gear all the way around. Torque the 4 bolts to specs and recheck with feeler guage. Now you know for sure that the o-ring is seated properly and the pump housing is centered. Install the 2 gears in the pump in the same direction you took them out and install the front cover on the pump.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply ill print that out and give it to the mechanic thats doing it. This is the first LS1 hes done performance work on so im sure that should help. i just want my friggen car back paying car payments and insurance on a car you havent driven ina year sucks lol.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by raven_450
Thanks for the reply ill print that out and give it to the mechanic thats doing it. This is the first LS1 hes done performance work on so im sure that should help. i just want my friggen car back paying car payments and insurance on a car you havent driven ina year sucks lol.
If anything is not clear with the mechanic, PM me and i'll help.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW~~~!!! Why would you leave him the car for a year to do a job that takes a few hours? Yes o-ring can cause your issues. Pinched is the usual mistake.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Hes had it for 9 months the rest of the time was me and my friends messing it up basically, long story short dbl adjustable timing chain set messed up timing smacked valves against pistons. brought it to him he sent the heads out got new valves put it when they got back. He "forgot" it was a dbl adjustable and did the same dahm thing i did. sent heads again to get redone put it together bad oil pressure. this is over the course of 9 months hes a friend of my moms best friend so he was only charing me for parts not labor. lost my real paying job midway thru this ordeal and im working at some bullshit jiffy lube type place dont make enough money to take it out of there and bring it anywhere else.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! **** happens, at least he's helping you out so no complaints. Good luck with it!!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yea its just getting a little annoying at this point since i missed the lsx shootout and gmhtp day today at my home track (e-town).