Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I know before buying heads ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation What should I know before buying heads ?

Well, I know nothing about heads ,just got some questions ,

1-what is this number 215cc ?
2-what is the best combustion chamber ? more than stock or less ?
3-compression ratio : the higher the better ? or ?

...... what else about H/C ?

don't tell me to

Last edited by the_beast; 10-20-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_beast
Well, I know nothing about heads ,just got some questions ,

1-what is this number 215cc ?
2-what is the best combustion chamber ? more than stock or less ?
3-compression ratio : the higher the better ? or ?

...... what else about H/C ?

don't tell me to
1. 215 cc is the intake runner volume, tfs heads i assume you are looking into ?
2 and 3. you want to optomize your scr/dcr for the gas that is available. if 93 or better you can probably run in the 8.7-8.9 dcr range without issues .
to get your scr/dcr in the right range you will need to figure out what cam you are wanting to run but your combustion numbers with a stock bottom end with a decent sized cam will probably be around 59-62 cc just rough guessing.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Intake runner size. Some believe to big of a runner hurts low end performance where others dont think it matters.

2. Chamber size: is just a matter of how much compression you want

3 Higher compression produces more power but if you dont get it right you have a knock retard problem with detonation. Quench is important when it comes to hi compression.

I had an issue with no being able to run to much timing due to my compression and quench with my last set of heads. With my AFR's I've never seen an issue. You need to do a search on quench to see it's importance or just give Tony Mamo at AFR a call and let him educate you. He loves to talk about heads and is a wealth of knowledge to tap into.

You have OEM casting that are cnc'ed and then you have aftermarket castings. Usually the aftermarket casting are a better head. More work has been put into the design of them than the factory head, although the newer the ls6 oem head the better it flows. We have a person in out section that bolted on oem ls6 heads and gained like 30 hp. They werent even cnc'ed just regular heads someone took off a z06, I think they were the 243's or 315's not sure, what ever fits and ls1

my previous numbers were 395/366 on the same dyno with a TSP torquer 2, TSP 3" catted y, hooker catback, march U/D and LS6 intake.. last winter i switched the stock 241 heads for stock 243s, a Fast 90/90, and TSP true duals.. and the results: 431rwhp/394ftlbs! !

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-20-2007 at 01:05 PM.