Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmpp h/c asa cam and cnced ls6 heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gmpp h/c asa cam and cnced ls6 heads

I don't know a lot about the internals of our cars, but I am trying to learn as much as possible leading up to my heads cam swap. So I want feedback from you guys on my plan for my winter build up. To help everyone with my situation let me go through the car situation. My car is an automatic and a daily driver I want to really wake the car up since I've been driving it stock pretty much for 2 years(air intake and catback). It runs strong with zero engine issues at just over 80k. I don't care about peak numbers and my 1/4 time isn't of huge importance to me. I want the car to retain good street manners sound good still get decent mileage and scare me the passenger and anyone who drives around me. My good friend works for gm so I will be going through him for parts. I want the best bang for my buck and I want to work within my limits. So I was going to get the asa cam because it is big enough to notice lopey enough to hear and easy enough on the valvetrain and was made for the cnced ls6 heads which I'll get. So with that in place I don't know what kind of gear ratio I should get if any- I have 3.23s now. I also don't know what stall would work with everything best. I've heard 3200 is just a good round about stall for street/strip cars. Anybody with this combo please chime in.

I know I will also want/need the following to best use the new components:
timing chain
headers and y-pipe
under drive pulley
ls6 intake and ported throttle body

Is there anything else I should add to the list
Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should PM PatrickG and get a custom cam. It may be bigger or smaller than the ASA cam, but it will be tailor spec'd for your wants. All he asks is that you be honest with him. As far as converter size, 3200 is probably a good choice for a DD. I tend to be more tolerant of converters and am anxiously awaiting my Yank PT4400. The general rule of thumb is pick one and go a size bigger. Once you get used to it you'll likely want more. I started with a Yank ST3500 because I wanted a 3200. I then upgraded to a SS4000 and loved it even more. There was very little difference between the two as far as city driving was concerned...all the gains were at WOT. So when I blew my tranny and upgraded to a FLT unit, I had the golden opportunity to upgrade again to a PT4400. I've heard great things about that converter, so I'll have to see how it does for me.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input on the stall. Your right I may want more, but I am sensible enough to get a smaller stall or cam and be happy with it. I like to have the best I can afford, but don't confuse me with the guy that needs the biggest cam/fastest car to impress. I need a good runner that I am happy with first and foremost. I have heard of PatrickG and his good work but if I can get the ASA cam for half of the price that does everything I want it to do then I will go that route. The only way I am going to afford a quality heads cam swap is through my gm connection. I also have my connection on headers. I'm really just trying to feel out what people have to say and what other details I might need to consider going forward before any $ is spent. Thanks and any other input is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eh, i'd go ahead and get a 3500 stall, I love my precision vig!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

That's crazy, I was just looking at the GMPP catalog last night. I think you would really like the Hotcam. Bigger than stock, a little smaller than the ASA, but not some Ron Jeremy cam that won't idle to save it's life. Bring on the flames
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
That's crazy, I was just looking at the GMPP catalog last night. I think you would really like the Hotcam. Bigger than stock, a little smaller than the ASA, but not some Ron Jeremy cam that won't idle to save it's life. Bring on the flames
I think that the hot cam is not quite big enough. Yes you will use all of its power but its not much bigger than stock. 99 cams were a little bigger than the truck cams they used in 01-02 but still leave a lot to be desired. I have never driven a cammed car before, but I think that after 2 years of driving the ls1 I need to step things up a bit to keep myself happy with the car i drive. The asa cam is no ron jeremy but I think its sizable enough to use and not peter out with better heads and other supporting mods. I do like that both cams are bigger than stock but have low enough lift so you won't have to mess with valve springs. Thats why I am leaning towards these cams and that they are cheap for me when I'm ready to piece everything together. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
I think that the hot cam is not quite big enough.
The damn hotcam idles worse than many cams far larger. I would venture to say that 95% of people that like the hotcam either had one in their LT1, or it is the only cam they have ever had in their LS1 powered cars. You see people pulling hotcams to go bigger, not the other way around. I think the hotcam is a waste of time, money and effort. I had one, and I will never have another one.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Second Club

I'm sorry I even brought up the hotcam. I had one in my LT1, and my buddy has one in his LS1. Both of them run/ran pretty good. No real complaints. I now have a much bigger cam in my LS1
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Banned

why not just go with some cnc'd LS6 heads and the TR224 cam. definately DD. Im planning on doing mine after the new year. and i drive cross country too.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few guys on here running the ASA cam with stock heads and making around 380-390 RWHP. So the CNC'd LS6 heads might not be needed,
I guess it depends on what power level you really want. From what I understand the ASA really needs a good flowing Exhaust system to show it's full potential.
I am also a big fan of this cam and for the same reasons you are.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1W66
There are a few guys on here running the ASA cam with stock heads and making around 380-390 RWHP. So the CNC'd LS6 heads might not be needed,
I guess it depends on what power level you really want. From what I understand the ASA really needs a good flowing Exhaust system to show it's full potential.
I am also a big fan of this cam and for the same reasons you are.
I thought that no matter the cam if you have a good set of heads to go with a performance cam it will be that much better. And yes I've been reading that the good exhaust and intake works even better with this cam because of the large overlap.