Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i throw this cam into my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should i throw this cam into my Camaro?

Should i throw this cam into my Camaro (1989 IROC with ls1 swap)?

I am currently working on my camaro, radiator is out and a few other things. I had the bright idea that since i'm halfway there, why not go ahead and throw a cam kit that i have in there. It is the "new" cam kit that came out of an engine i built for a friend.

Motor details: Stock 98 ls1, i guess around 130k miles on it, stock 01 exhaust manifolds, ls1 intake, M6.

The cam kit has never been run, looks to be this cam kit:

51013A - Camshaft Kit, LS1/LS2, 51013 Cam, Springs, Retainers, Locks

For the LS1 owner who wants a matched camshaft package, SLP offers this complete cam kit. Through extensive dyno and track testing, our engineers have developed a package that provides maximum horsepower and a moderately aggressive idle in LS1/LS6,LS2 5.3L, or 6.0L applications. Each kit includes a camshaft, matching valve springs, titanium retainers, and keepers. This "package" approach takes the guesswork out of valvetrain assembly, letting you focus on the fun part-making power! Not legal for use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles.

NOTE: PCM reprogramming strongly recommended. Use SLP's Valve Spring Compressor Tool Set (part #53306) for in-car installations.

Camshaft Specs: Valve Lift Duration@.050
in: .576" 234º
ex: .571" 228º

Centerline - 112º
Lobe Separation - 113º

Camshaft kit contains:
(1) Camshaft
(16) high-performance valve springs
(16) lightweight titanium retainers
(32) OEM valve keepers
I also have the push rods that came out of the engine (not sure if they are factory or not, my guess is that they are after market judging by other things that were on the motor.

I don't want to spend much money on it at this point. I don't want to spend the money on a timing chain or oil pump. Might just install it and use my HP tuner to change a few things. Am i asking for trouble? Just thinking about picking up a few hp, etc.

Should i install it, or leave it on a shelf until i decide to build things better and go with a different cam?

Thanks,
James
Old 10-21-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see why not. That cam will work fine without any other mods. You might need slightly longer pushrods, just compare base circle diameters. Headers would really wake it up though.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

money strapped? in college? first get the motor in and working. Wiring harness? headers? exhaust? motor mounts? tranny mount?
if money is not a problem then yes change the cam. did you already buy the cam? if not do more research. look at this web site for alternatives. let me repeat do more research.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Launching!

money strapped? in college? first get the motor in and working. Wiring harness? headers? exhaust? motor mounts? tranny mount?
if money is not a problem then yes change the cam. did you already buy the cam? if not do more research. look at this web site for alternatives. let me repeat do more research.
Not in college, not too money strapped - if i was to buy a cam this would not be my choice, just happen to have it. Car has been running and driving with the swap for over a 1 1/2 years with 10k+ miles that i've put on it (13.3 1/4 on street tires, one of my daily drivers, been to a track day and drift events). I've got other things to spend money on, just wondering what peoples opinions are on this cam, and whether i should put it in without doing supporting mods.

*without the restrictive tpi intake anymore
Old 10-21-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont waste the time if you are gonna leave it choked up with stock manifolds and LS1 intake.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28evans
Not in college, not too money strapped - if i was to buy a cam this would not be my choice, just happen to have it. Car has been running and driving with the swap for over a 1 1/2 years with 10k+ miles that i've put on it (13.3 1/4 on street tires, one of my daily drivers, been to a track day and drift events). I've got other things to spend money on, just wondering what peoples opinions are on this cam, and whether i should put it in without doing supporting mods.

*without the restrictive tpi intake anymore
"not money strapped" change the intake and get headers. "just happen to have it" well then use it for a year and then you will have a better idea of what you want.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your not pretty good at tunning or know someone who is I would not put that cam in right now. That cam is fairly aggressive and will take bit to tune right. Even with an M6 it's going to run like crap on the stock tune. And I would put at least mid length headers on it as the stock manifolds will choke it for sure.

Re'
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replys guys, i'll probably sell the cam and wait until i get some other projects out of the way before i start modding this car.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

A cam will only perform well with supporting mods. With the ls1 intake and manifolds then you will be resctricting the motor more than it is now and you may not see the gain you might want. People usually do a cam change after the bolt ons to take full advantage a good breathing and exhaling motor.