Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me avoid the sewing machine sound

Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me avoid the sewing machine sound

I'm planning a cam swap, but I don't want my car to sound like a sewing machine. I've done alot of searching but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what causes it. Some have said it's the stock rockers, others say it's improper lifter preload, and still others say it's aggressive ramp rates like the Xe-r lobes and yadda, yadda, yadda. So which one is it? Is it a combination of factors? I'm looking to install the Trickflow Stage III cam which is ground by Lunati and eventually get the TFS heads which means i'll be getting new rockers. Will this head/cam package make less noise since i've elimanated two of the possible factors. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. It's almost impossible to not have a sewing machine noise after upgrading valvetrain. It's just the nature of the beast & something you'll have to deal with if you plan on modding.

The best way to decrease this noise is to make 100% sure your part are matched perfectly & not just thrown together. You'll never eliminate it completely.

And unless they are offering a special deal on those heads, they will not come with new rockers. You'll either have to send in a set of stockers to Harland Sharp to be rebuilt or pay for some aftermarket ones.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Big Mike said it all ... it is not going to go away...for us old schoolers there was nothing that sounded sweeter that a SBC with a solid lifer cam singing a song...good example would be a 1970 LT1 Vette engine at idle ...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

I think stock cams sound like sewing machines! LOL. Well, most people dont like this idea, but I put an LS6 cam(and heads) in my LS1 and the valvetrain noise isnt much louder...With EVERYTHING else stock(including airbox n exhaust) the car runs 12.5's on the stock tires! 19MPG's round town, and 25+ MPG's highway....

-Dan
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sewing machine sound you're referring to is caused by the aggressive lobe profiles of most aftermarket cam designs. What you're actually hearing is the valve slamming shut on the valve seat with the aftermarket cam instead of being "gently" closed with the stock cam. It's got very little to do with pushrods, springs or rockers. If you don't like the sound, buy a camshaft with less aggressive lobes that set the valves down easier, and get a louder exhaust to cover up some of the sound.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^

Yep, you're hearing those valves snap shut... that's what's causing all the ruckus.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01LS6SS
I think stock cams sound like sewing machines! LOL. Well, most people dont like this idea, but I put an LS6 cam(and heads) in my LS1 and the valvetrain noise isnt much louder...With EVERYTHING else stock(including airbox n exhaust) the car runs 12.5's on the stock tires! 19MPG's round town, and 25+ MPG's highway....

-Dan
What is your point I get 26/20 mpg and make 446 rwhp
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I had Yella Terra rockers with my Tqr V3 and thought I might be giving up some power because of the heavier rocker (I have the old style), so I switched back to the stock rockers. The noise was almost unnoticeable with the YT's and is very noticeable/ borderline loud with the stockers. Aftermarket rockers do help, but you will still have the noise.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

So SLT200MPH, you get 26city and 20highway....WOW, I guess your SUPER COOL!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when did this turn into an " i get the best mpg" thread
Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Reading comp. must not be your strong suit. Anyone with half a brain knows those numbers are in this order: Hwy/city, just by the numbers. If you think your gonna get higher city than highway miles, you need to get off the drugs.

Now back on topic.

If it is the stock rockers making the noise the new bearings & stuff they do to them at Harland Sharp when they rebuild them could help eliminate some of the noise.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Is it worth it to get the stock rockers rebuilt? A guy at Texas Speed said not to worry about the rockers. He said the stockers should do fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my suggestion, buy a louder cat back to drowned it out
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RareBreed0295
Is it worth it to get the stock rockers rebuilt? A guy at Texas Speed said not to worry about the rockers. He said the stockers should do fine.
I'm running stockers, but they have been known to loose bearings & cause engine damage. It's basically rolling the dice after you begin internal mods.

I believe Harland Sharp only charges $225 plus shipping both ways & thats cheaper than a set of aftermarket rockers.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats great ... Now you and my GF both think so ... thanks for the kind words sir ...
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Good luck. It's almost impossible to not have a sewing machine noise after upgrading valvetrain. It's just the nature of the beast & something you'll have to deal with if you plan on modding.

The best way to decrease this noise is to make 100% sure your part are matched perfectly & not just thrown together. You'll never eliminate it completely.

And unless they are offering a special deal on those heads, they will not come with new rockers. You'll either have to send in a set of stockers to Harland Sharp to be rebuilt or pay for some aftermarket ones.
I knew I would have to get aftermarket rockers with the TFS heads, so i've already planned for that expense.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I had Yella Terra rockers with my Tqr V3 and thought I might be giving up some power because of the heavier rocker (I have the old style), so I switched back to the stock rockers. The noise was almost unnoticeable with the YT's and is very noticeable/ borderline loud with the stockers. Aftermarket rockers do help, but you will still have the noise.
Maybe I'll go with the Yella Terra rockers then. I wonder how agressive the lobes are on the TFS stage III cams? If their not as aggressive as say, the Comp Xe-r's, then maybe my noise will be considerably less with this cam and the YT rockers.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is actually very quiet other than a loud ticking during warm up that lasts for maybe 2 minutes. Other than that I hear no valvetrain nose inside the car. Personally, I think pushrod length is the culprit more often than not. I have factory rockers btw. The valvetrain in my Camaro with mods below is quieter than my factory 04 Silverado.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The sewing machine sound you're referring to is caused by the aggressive lobe profiles of most aftermarket cam designs. What you're actually hearing is the valve slamming shut on the valve seat with the aftermarket cam instead of being "gently" closed with the stock cam. It's got very little to do with pushrods, springs or rockers. If you don't like the sound, buy a camshaft with less aggressive lobes that set the valves down easier, and get a louder exhaust to cover up some of the sound.
I don't think so. Mine is quiet and it's an XER cam.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

you can avoid the sewing machine sound by leaving your cam and valvetrain stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me avoid the sewing machine sound