Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on what to do with my motor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need opinions on what to do with my motor.

Alright i have a 100,000 mile LS1 Z28. At about 75,000 miles i installed a custom grind cam and dual valve springs. I started noticing the normal "sewing machine" noise that comes with it. But as time went on it started getting louder and louder. Well almost a year ago i changed my oil and found a skinny "spring" that was about 1 1/2 to 2" long. Of course the noise never went away and only got louder. Well yesterday while searching around on LS1tech i noticed this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/803984-now-failed-lifter.html where a guy found a dead lifter in his car after hearing the same noise i am describing. Well in one of the pictues he took there is a bunch of needle bearings and a spring that looks IDENTICAL to the one i found.
here is his pic:
and mine:

Now i am wondering what route i should take to fix this. I could just install new lifters and cam. But my car needs to last me for about another year to year and a half without a hitch while i finish school and the fire academy. So i was thinking about either 1) pulling the motor and doing a stock re-build myself or 2) buying a forged shortblock from a sponsor and swap over my stuff. I'm not looking for a crazy fast obnoxious setup. I would like to keep the ~400hp i am at now though.

so what is your opinions? Should i just do a "band-aid fix" by putting in new lifters and cam or do it right and spend the money now? Any and all advice would be appreciated

Also when i pulled my dipstick out to check the oil level the other day i could see shiney sparkles of what i guess to be fragments of my lifter or cam.

Brent
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, right now I would just do new lifters and a cam, and just save your money for later. The engine is running now, I say take the chance that it will stay fine after new cam and lifters.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Tear it down and see whats goin on... thats the only way you are really going to know the extent of the damage if any.. shinny specs in the oil is never good though..
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

I would pull the heads, and oil pan off and clean everything really well. New valvetrain, and put it back together (if nothing is wrong) If you do find something really bad, go to E-bay for a slightly used motor til you get out school.
GL Brent and keep in touch.