Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for quality control.... ("new" water pump from Advance)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So much for quality control.... ("new" water pump from Advance)

So my factory water pump has given up the ghost at 89k. I went to Advance last night and ordered a new one. It came in today and I stopped by on the way home from work to get it. I took it out of the box at the store to look it over and there was a real nice crack down the base of one of the fittings. It was about an inch long and had spiderwebbed some. Looks like the bore wasn't large enough when the fitting was pressed in... The store took it right back and ordered another that will arrive tomorrow, but....

This was supposed to be a new water pump with a lifetime warranty, etc....but I'm nervous now about using any others from this source. I should've called Gene Culley and had a Genuine overnighted.

I'm honestly not all that impressed with how the pump looked either - tons of casting flash and rough edges on the thing. If the EWP wasn't several times more expensive, I'd jump on one of those and deal with the short lifespan issues. At least those have some kind of qc going....

Don't mind me - just ranting.....

Dan
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blorton
So my factory water pump has given up the ghost at 89k. I went to Advance last night and ordered a new one. It came in today and I stopped by on the way home from work to get it. I took it out of the box at the store to look it over and there was a real nice crack down the base of one of the fittings. It was about an inch long and had spiderwebbed some. Looks like the bore wasn't large enough when the fitting was pressed in... The store took it right back and ordered another that will arrive tomorrow, but....

This was supposed to be a new water pump with a lifetime warranty, etc....but I'm nervous now about using any others from this source. I should've called Gene Culley and had a Genuine overnighted.

I'm honestly not all that impressed with how the pump looked either - tons of casting flash and rough edges on the thing. If the EWP wasn't several times more expensive, I'd jump on one of those and deal with the short lifespan issues. At least those have some kind of qc going....

Don't mind me - just ranting.....

Dan
I ordered one for my LS1 a few weeks ago because the dealership told me mine was leaking when they servied my cooling system, and I was very unimpressed with the quality. The pump was a brand new ASC unit, yet it looked like it had been remanufactured from a core unit. Total piece of ****, IMO.

Turned out my waterpump was fine, so I returned the pump the Advance. The weephole was dry despite the dealer's claims, they just wanted to make $575 off of me by offering to change it with the coolant flush
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Sad .. i believe if i were you id head back to the dealership and speak with the service manager
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Ya know what's bugging me now? If they can let something with such a big crack on the side of it ship out, what's to say the internals of the next one won't be any better? sheesh...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Give us a call and we can get you a genuine GM part to you ASAP! We're your one-stop source for ALL your GM parts needs!

Tell advance to take theirs back and refund your money (they can do it, I did it at Advance every day for years working as a store manager)!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Matt! I'll use you guys next time. I have an event tomorrow morning I'm trying to get the car ready for, but if the pump that shows up today is a bust, I'll be calling you. Saturday morning delivery? lol.

Dan
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We can do Saturday morning delivery (it's not cheap for a heavy water pump, but we can do it).

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

Yep, something else you can blame on Global Warming. That's not right it's free trade. But if you go back to a dealer and ask for a Genuine GM replacement part you'll more than likely get a little better unit.

The reason they give you a life time warranty is they are playing the odds. The odds of you selling or trading the car are greater then you keeping it. Your lifetime warranty isn't transferable.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

On most cars, after a few years, parts become "rebuilt" due to manufacturer stopping production. I see brand new Mopar parts broken right out of the undamaged box. It's a wonderful thing when you're a service advisor and you had a tech order a part and the customer returns only to be told you had to reorder it.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redlinez
On most cars, after a few years, parts become "rebuilt" due to manufacturer stopping production. I see brand new Mopar parts broken right out of the undamaged box. It's a wonderful thing when you're a service advisor and you had a tech order a part and the customer returns only to be told you had to reorder it.
Yeah that is no joke. I have an 02 dodge truck, that the waterpump went out on at the beginning of this year. I went to advanced auto, they had to order it. It came in two days later. I put it in, fired the truck up, and the main bearing that holds the shaft in place went out, and sprayed water every were, So I took it back, got my money back, went to Napa, They had to order one aswell. I got it a day later. Put it in, and the same thing happened. So I got to thinking maybe my fan clutch was not working properly and throwing the alignment off. So I got a new water pump and a new fan clutch. Well it seemed to work fine, Well about 6 months later I was driving from Virginia to Washington State, and on the highway, it went again. So I called AAA, they brought the truck to a Dodge dealership, they replaced it again, for the Fourth time. Now just this week, I am have problems with my truck over heating again, and it is about to go... I know it is not my thremo because I replaced it about 2 months ago..

Lane
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one from Pepboys about a month ago & it looked fine to me. Was a little more bulky lookin than the stocker, but I didn't notice anything that would cause alarm. Hell it even came with the good thick metal/orange o-ring gaskets like stock, instead of the thin black o-ringed ones you get from GM now.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure electric water pumps are expensive, but I've been running a Meziere for over 5 years and 70K miles with no problems at all.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

If you ran nitro you would not need an H2o pump.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

My Autozone pump's been working perfectly for awhile now.

It came with the metal/orange thingies too.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

The second pump came in and looked okay. I installed it last night and it seems to be problem-free. We'll see.

Thanks,
Dan