Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car....no start (I don't think it is VATS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New car....no start (I don't think it is VATS)

After shipping my 01 6spd SS I am unable to start it. Upon arrival the battery was completly dead and would not even jumpstart.

I replaced the battery and now it will crank, but not start. I have around 50PSI to the fuel rail and I am getting spark to the plugs as confirmed by a tester. I cleaned the ket pellet and the internal contacts for the ignition switch. It still just continually cranks with a rare occasional attemp at lighting off.

I read into the VATS description in my manual and it says "The PASS-Key® system prevents the engine from starting by controlling the starter relay and the powertrain control module (PCM) fuel enable input. If the PCM does not sense the proper fuel enable signal, fuel will not be provided to the engine."

To me that sounds like I will not even be getting a cranking condition (which I am).

Any suggestions on what /how to check? I am new to LS1's and have hit a dead end.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any ideas at all? I have no idea what else to check? I am assuming the injectors are not opening? Is there a way to check that without special tools?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that problem before,and spent alot of money at the dealership replacing keys(vats)and that was not the case.It ended up being a $10 ignition relay that i replaced and solved the issue.I would start there