Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I NEED ARP bolts/studs?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I NEED ARP bolts/studs?

I'm not going extreme...I have a 224 cam and ls6 heads and put a 125 shot on top of it. Can I just re-use stock head bolts or get new stockers or do I need the ARP's??

The way I think of it is that I've been running the stockers and haven't had any problems for soo long, why would I need the studs right now? I'm not upping the shot or adding much more power.

Thanks again
Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the stock head bolts can not be reused.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vaticano
the stock head bolts can not be reused.
so any real problem with getting new stock head bolts and using those?
11 Second Club

You cannot re-use the stockers, they are TTY bolts. You need new ones or ARP's. Studs are the best option...

Damn you guys type quickly...
Launching!

Agreed. The stock head bolts are torque to yeild bolts and are a one time deal. It's not a bad idea to upgrade to ARP bolts or studs.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to internal even though the choice is clear here. Studs are for the major changes over and over. You just need a set of stock bolts. Clean the bolt holes. Your good to go.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no they should be fine but they have a strange way of torquing them. you have to torque them by degrees. dont recall the specifics but basically you torque the to say 50 psi then tighten them 75 degrees then 45 more. gm sells a 360 degree dial used for this purpose, i just went with the ARP studs to ensure proper torque
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

well all these guys are giving their opinions of which they think is the best....(which they are right) however your asking if you need either of those and the answer is -no-. Youll NEED at a minimum NEW stock bolts..and with a shot that small they will work just fine...however its recommended to go with at least ARP bolts, much easier to install, STRONGER, and you can re-use them. I see no need going with studs on something this light..it would be overkill.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Launching!

I agree with the above. Your stocker head bolts are a torque to yield, meaning once you torque it down, it achieves a superior clamping force due to the stretch in the bolt. once you remove that same bolt, that bolt has lost its clamping force and the properties that provided it have been destroyed by stretching it. one-shot deal.

stock replacement bolts are the best option for ya.

ARP bolts would be a step up that wouldnt really be necessary, but are reusable as a plus.

studs would be just plain ridiculous. if you ever had an issue and took the motor to the shop, they would have to damn near drop the motor to get the heads off the studs. at the very least it would be a pain in the ***. you arent blowing the **** out of the motor or hitting it with a 500 shot fogger so its waste of cash and a pain in the *** to boot.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock bolts are perfectly good for head and cam packages. Since you are going to spraying a 125hp shot, ARP head bolts would not be a bad idea. Nitrous has a very quick combustion process and creates extra cylinder pressure( that is why you need less timing ). ARP bolts are much stronger than stock and will hold up to nitrous better. If you are going to be removing the heads a lot, studs make things easier. If you are going to be spraying more 125hp, then studs again will be better than bolts as they have greater holding strength.

Keith
Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

NO, you do not NEED ARP bolts or studs, but why spend all the money to upgrade internals and heads and add nitrous...then use NEW torque to yeild bolts???

Studs are overkill on 99% of the set ups on this board, bolts are just fine and easier to install! They are relatively inexpensive to purchase (yes we sell them) and REUSEABLE unlike GM's ****.

Go with ARP bolts with some assembly lube and drive happy!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the love of god buy studs. i used bolts and im loosing coolant everytime i hit the giggly gas button.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I see is needed is ARP rod bolts, thats just because i would love to rev to 7k with out issue. As for your situation, stock (new) TTY bolts are fine.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the helps guys....I just didn't see the point of ARP studs on my car

Just wanted to make sure before I order
Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nine-eight
I agree with the above. Your stocker head bolts are a torque to yield, meaning once you torque it down, it achieves a superior clamping force due to the stretch in the bolt. once you remove that same bolt, that bolt has lost its clamping force and the properties that provided it have been destroyed by stretching it. one-shot deal.

stock replacement bolts are the best option for ya.

ARP bolts would be a step up that wouldnt really be necessary, but are reusable as a plus.

studs would be just plain ridiculous. if you ever had an issue and took the motor to the shop, they would have to damn near drop the motor to get the heads off the studs. at the very least it would be a pain in the ***. you arent blowing the **** out of the motor or hitting it with a 500 shot fogger so its waste of cash and a pain in the *** to boot.
New stock bolts are fine until one breaks while installing the heads. Just get some ARP bolts and be done.

Search this Thread