Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket pushrods for an 02 LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket pushrods for an 02 LS1?

Hi Gentlemen

Im new to this board and to V8's in general. I have been into turbo rotaries for 10yrs now and decided I was tired of them going BOOM!!! lol

Anyhow...Im swapping an 02 LS1/T56 into my 91 Rx7. The engine and trans were pulled from an F-body with 40k original miles, Im assuming it should all be in good shape. I wanted to know if I should upgrade the pushrods as Ive heard the stockers are not all that great. I have searched on this board for the answer but never got any real clarity on the subject. Any other reliability mods you guys can think of is greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are staying with stock motor then keep the stockers, if camming then change.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
If you are staying with stock motor then keep the stockers, if camming then change.
Are you leaving the motor stock?

If i had the motor out of the engine i would throw on a ls2 timing chain, ported oil pump, and pushrods. Valvesprings will prolly be ok with stock cam, but wouldnt hurt to throw in some better ones. that should keep ya from having to worry about anything

im gonna disagree with predator cause i bent my pushrods on my bolt on motor
Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Are you leaving the motor stock?

If i had the motor out of the engine i would throw on a ls2 timing chain, ported oil pump, and pushrods. Valvesprings will prolly be ok with stock cam, but wouldnt hurt to throw in some better ones. that should keep ya from having to worry about anything

Yep...the motor isnt getting a cam right away, maybe in 6 months. I was thinking about the SLP timing chain/oil pump combo? Ive also heard the LS2 chain is a great upgrade as well.

Any thoughts on replacing the water pump?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

replace the water pump when it dies, its only 6 bolts
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
That's the point. A stock engine only needs the stock pushrods. Hence the reason they were designed that way. The benefit of the stock ones is that they bend. What do you think would happen if you had hardened pushrods in a stock engine and missed a shift? Smash.... Mr. Piston meet Mr. Valve.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That's the point. A stock engine only needs the stock pushrods. Hence the reason they were designed that way. The benefit of the stock ones is that they bend. What do you think would happen if you had hardened pushrods in a stock engine and missed a shift? Smash.... Mr. Piston meet Mr. Valve.
That is my point as well, not to mention, that if you cam the car, 95% you'll need longer p-rods anyways 7.425s, so better wait.