Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump o-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump o-ring?

i forgot to put the oil pump o-ring in when I installed the motor. Does anyone know how to put one in without taking the front cover off? Is it possible to lift the motor up enought to get to the oil pump o-ring?

Let me know.
Evan
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Definatelly gonna need to take the front cover off.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Taking the front cover off and dropping the pan as far as it will drop...about 1/2" is much better than removing the whole k-frame...eek...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pull the long engine mount bolts out, take the 6 k-member bolts out, take the steering shaft loose at the rack and the oil pan will come out. Just jack the engine up as far as possible and let the k-member hang. The k-member doesn't have to be completely removed and it isn't going to fall out or anything with the shocks and etc. still hooked up. The front cover will not need to be removed.

The hardest part about this is to get the long engine mount bolts out, you will have to remove the alt. and the a/c compressor and bracket because they come out from the front.

The other alternative is to remove the balancer, wp, timing cover, and oil pump. Its difficult to remove the pickup bolt with the oil pan still bolted up on an f-body but it can be done. The oil pump is also a little tricky to remove because the actual pickup tube is held down by one of the windage tray nuts that can't be accessed without dropping the pan anyway. It can be done without dropping the pan but its a pain...and getting the pickup bolt back in is really a trick.

By hanging the k-member and dropping the pan you can get right to the tube meaning you can torque the pickup bolt back down. I imagine either way would take about the same amount of time, but IMO dropping the pan would be easier since you won't have to pull the balancer or fight trying to line the oil pump up with the pickup tube and crank sproket at the same time. If you were doing a cam and had the front cover off anyway, it would be a different story.

Last edited by Jonathan@Tick; 11-02-2007 at 10:18 PM.