Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 + TSP V.3.... what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 + TSP V.3.... what else do I need?

I was watching a clip on here of a SWEEEET Camaro with a TSP Magic Stick V.3 in it. Sounded really really nice. Perfect for my taste

What else would you have to do to a motor to handle that cam? The specs are:

TSP XS Series Camshaft:
Magic Stick V.3 237/242 .603/.609"

I know on the TSP website it mentions they use it in stock heads. What is the max lift of a stock LS1 head?

I would think the intake/throttle body would be necessary, but what about anything else? Heads? Springs just to be safe? Any thing on the bottom end?

Just looking for some sound advice (yeah, I'm new).

Thanks guys,
Barry
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
I know on the TSP website it mentions they use it in stock heads. What is the max lift of a stock LS1 head?

I would think the intake/throttle body would be necessary, but what about anything else? Heads? Springs just to be safe? Any thing on the bottom end?
its not the lift you have to worry about its the duration... i think you'll be fine on stock heads with a MS3...

you'll need springs.... stock intake/tb will work...

anyone else wanna chime in and help the man out lol
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

I would go with new push rods, dual springs, timing chain and an oil pump
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

long tubes
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Second Club

LTs if you don't all ready have them and just buy the kit from TSP it comes with everyting you need. oh and get a new oil pump and a ls2 timming chain.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses guys. That helps out a lot.

I might post this as a new thread, but thought I'd add it to this one:

If I used the M3 cam in an LS2, would I need the spring changes? I cannot find the differences of the LS2 heads vs the LS1 heads. I know that they said the LS2 engines have the LS6 heads, which were apparently better as stock vs the LS1 heads (Is that true?). So I guess that I really have 4questions now:

1. Do the LS2 engines have the LS6 heads on them?

2. What is the difference of LS6 heads vs LS1 heads (besides flow)? Springs, valve sizes, etc?

3. Would adding the M3 cam be acceptable to do to a stock LS2 without chaning anything in the heads, intake, throttle body? (Would I need pushrods, springs, or anything else like recommended on an LS1?)

4. With the M3 cam, would I benefit anything from running the FAST 90/90 compared to the stockers on the LS2?

Thanks again!!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Thanks for the responses guys. That helps out a lot.

I might post this as a new thread, but thought I'd add it to this one:

If I used the M3 cam in an LS2, would I need the spring changes? I cannot find the differences of the LS2 heads vs the LS1 heads. I know that they said the LS2 engines have the LS6 heads, which were apparently better as stock vs the LS1 heads (Is that true?). So I guess that I really have 4questions now:

1. Do the LS2 engines have the LS6 heads on them?
No, they have 243 castings, same as LS6 but solid valves instead of hollow
2. What is the difference of LS6 heads vs LS1 heads (besides flow)? Springs, valve sizes, etc?
Better runner shape, chamber shape, chamber size and yes the valves although same diameter but taller
3. Would adding the M3 cam be acceptable to do to a stock LS2 without chaning anything in the heads, intake, throttle body? (Would I need pushrods, springs, or anything else like recommended on an LS1?)
Yes it would fit
4. With the M3 cam, would I benefit anything from running the FAST 90/90 compared to the stockers on the LS2?
FAST 90/90 should pick up power
Thanks again!!
Welcome to the dark side.

Please read the JRP cam sticky and Patrick G sticky to better understand.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Welcome to the dark side.

Please read the JRP cam sticky and Patrick G sticky to better understand.
You know, some guys told me this site was pretty tough to get help from, and that most people would brush the new guys off.... with some pretty rude comments. I gotta tell ya, this site has been great to me so far. A few PMs, some honest answers, and some archive reading, and I've learned a ton already. I used to get a real headache trying to figure the LS stuff out.

I like the dark side so far..... I see no reason to stick with the normal small block Chevy anymore, so I'm here to stay!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, your answers cleared some stuff up for me. And Predator, I WILL read the stickys you mentioned for sure. I guess I didn't catch them yet, I was looking at the HP Dyno/Cam sticky for a while, and some other cam question threads to see if anyone had the same questions I do.

Basically the way I'm understanding it so far is like this:

If you want a cam like the M3 in an LS1, it would also need new springs, pushrods, and oil pump.

If you want a cam like the MS3 in an LS2, it wouldn't really need anything (maybe the oil pump upgrade).

And the benefit of the LS2 is that it has better heads and better intake. The TB would probably have to be converted to a cable driven one. Is that a fair assumption?

In the general opinion on here, to keep the starting point even, lets just say someone wanted to strictly buy a crate engine. And they were looking at an LS1 and an LS2. To get by for a few years, they only intended to put a M3 cam in it, and of course open up the air box on the car, underdrive pulley, no power steering pump, no air conditioning. Which crate engine would be the better starting point based on money spent in the end to get the M3 into the motor without jeopardizing other valve train parts?

I'm kinda seeing it as the LS2 would be a better starting point for me???? My car is basically a blank canvas. Here's a link to what I'm working with so far. Don't laugh, she's all I could afford from the start;

http://community.webshots.com/user/66BADBOY

So I can start with either motor. But there's always the option that I could start with a used 2001 LS1, I just don't know if I can find one with low mileage. I'm always afraid to start with someone elses problems, so I was kinda thinking about starting with a crate.

Sorry for the rambling!!

Thanks guys!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see predator is back
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need to upgrade the springs and pushrods in any LS motor with that cam.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

If you want a cam like the M3 in an LS1, it would also need new springs, pushrods, and oil pump.(Quote)

If you want a cam like the MS3 in an LS2, it wouldn't really need anything (maybe the oil pump upgrade). (Quote)

As them gentalmen said above. You MUST change spings and pushrods on any LS platform with a cam swap. Unless your putting another stock size cam back in which is pointless. Have fun with the car.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ99TA
If you want a cam like the M3 in an LS1, it would also need new springs, pushrods, and oil pump.(Quote)

If you want a cam like the MS3 in an LS2, it wouldn't really need anything (maybe the oil pump upgrade). (Quote)

As them gentalmen said above. You MUST change spings and pushrods on any LS platform with a cam swap. Unless your putting another stock size cam back in which is pointless. Have fun with the car.
That is not totally true.

You can run other cams on stock LS6 & LS2 (Like Old man cam, LPE GT2-3)

Basicaly any cam that doesn't require more seat pressures than the springs can handle.