Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did thermo mod, ls1 edited,running hot, what is the problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did thermo mod, ls1 edited,running hot, what is the problem

Mods include full boltons and cam and the ftra which does block the radiator some as anyone who has ever used or installed one knows. I did the thermostat mod where you shim where the shaft sits in with a .122" copper BB to make the stock thermostat open approximately around 170something degrees. I have ls1 edit and have the first fan set to come on at 175 and off at 170 and the second fan to come on at 205 and off at 200. I also have a bottle of water wetter in there after I just had the dealer flush the coolant and put new coolant in with the water wetter. My car before and after the coolant change has been running the high speed fan about 85% of the time, what the hell is the problem.

Do you think the dexecool has corroded the copper BB away and caused the thermostat to go back to stock form? Is this just because my car has a thumpin cam in it, which I highly doubt is the reason? Is this because I still don't have my a/c recharged as I never got to it after the cam install because I use it so little?

I don't think it is a bad coolant temperature sensor as I notice my oil pressure goes down an additional 2-4 psi at idle when the high temp fan kicks on. Also, my car has almost always been in the habit of turning the high speed fan on immediately after I turn the car off after it has been running for a while and then turn it back on within five minutes of turning it off. Why is this?
01 Pewter Hurst M6 (I'm not 70 yet, ha ha) SS #1215
SLP Options: Chrome 10 Spoke Wheels, Dual Dual, SS Grill
My Options: Wheels: 17x9.5 17x11 zr1 replicas with nitto 555 fronts and 555 extreme drags
Mods: Every bolton plus a thumpn' 224/224 565/565 106icl 110lsa comp xe cam
Wheels: ZR1s with nittos (315 in the back)
Dyno: uncorrected rwhp/rwtq, 415/417, corrected 405/406
Moser 12bolt, 33 spline, eaton posi, 4.11s
Old 06-16-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Did thermo mod, ls1 edited,running hot, what is the problem

ttt
Old 06-17-2003, 11:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the bottom plate from the FTRA and that helped some (didnt make any difference in ET) but I would pull the thermostat and check the opening temp in a pot of water. I have had a few that get stuck and dont open very far. Also dont make your first stage fans so low, the car will never run at 170 on a hot day with the FTRA and those fans running at low speed actually hurt you if you are driving at speed by restricting how much air can pass through the radiator. Also make sure your a/c condensor isnt plugged with junk, usually two years is all it takes for these to get plugged almost solid around here..
Old 06-17-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

stupid ?...but did you make sure you got all of the air out of the cooling system??? Because of course this would cause air pockets and cause it to over heat...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

i run the motor with the radiator cap off until the therm opens and water is flowing freely through the system (run for 5 minutes after it opens) ....this removes any trapped air bubbles in the system...

trapped air in the system can cause you to overheat,,,,