Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Head Advice (for the camaro not me)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Head Advice (for the camaro not me)

Well this winter I want to do a head swap. Are the MTI heads really worth the price? Do they normally make more power then other manufactures heads? I知 looking at stage 2 heads because I drive the car often to work. For manufactures I知 looking at MTI, TEA, or Katec Racing. Which set of heads are the best for the money, I知 willing to spend the cash for the MTI heads if there are truly worth the price, but if I値l lose 5 hp and save $600 I値l go with someone elses heads.

Mods:
Engine: SLP Air Box Lid, Ported and Polished TB, 224/224 .581 Comp Extreme Energy RPM Cam, Ls6 Intake, SLP Oil Pump, SLP Double Roller Timing Chain, Ls1 Speed Inc. Dyno Tuned
Exhaust: SLP LT Headers, Random Technologies PowerMax 3 inch Catback
DriveTrain: Vig 3000 converter, Stage 2 4L60E
Suspension: SLP Subframe Connectors, BMR Chrome Moly Shock Tower Brace, Spohn Eng. Crome Moly Adjustable Rod End Torque Arm, Spohn Eng. Crome Moly Adjustable Rod End LCA痴 with relocation brackets, Spohn Eng. Crome Moly Adjustable Rod End Panhard Rod
Old 06-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Need Head Advice (for the camaro not me)

OK I don't have heads so I'm no expert; but from what I've seen on this board, the TEA heads are the best bang for the buck, but the MTI heads are the best heads. 5-10hp isn't much but it's enough to win a race, so it depends on what your goals are.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

TEA heads are not only the best bang for the buck, there probably the best bang period. I haven't seen any track results on here lately for MTI headed cars. That's not to say they aren't quick, but I'm shooting for high 10s this weekend with my setup.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

might also want to consider getting your stock heads ported and polished. Just make sure the guy that is doing it has done LS1 heads before.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say it everytime someone asks about heads. IMO the Rapid Motorsport heads are the best on the market.The two cars that have been dynoed with Rapid heads on them are stout to say the least. I have my info in my sig and here is the info of the A4 car.

Taken from Mikeys post.
We tested our first A4 car. It'a a 2000 Z with Rapid cylinder heads, a Comp XE-R 228/228/114, FLP headers, Magnaflow exhaust (no cutout), Moser 12 Bolt, 4.11 gears, TCS 4400 converter, TCS Stage II 4L60E, stock pulley, stock TB.

It put down 419.9 rwhp SAE with the converter UNLOCKED. Last pull on the dyno snapped the steel driveshaft in half.

The numbers speak for themselves.These put out the power without messing with the compression at all.These heads are 5.7 heads and they flow just as good (if not better) than most LS6 heads. Check out the site.

www.rapidmotorsports.com

Or give Mikey a call 610-404-7979