Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure??

I just finished installing a motor that was put together with a 383 stroker kit. I put it all in the car and it turned right on, but i was not getting oil pressure so i figured it was the sending unit that got banged up when istalling the motor from the top. I tapped right on top of the oil filter and installed a autometer mechanical gauge. I recranked the car and waited for the oil to reach the gauge but it was not comming. I completely pulled the oil line from the gauge and waited for the oil to come, finally it did but even then it was just drips. Whats going on? Someone please help, this is seriously stressing me out. I also checked the valve cover, i took my oil tube off the valve cover and waited for oil to come out the rocker but nothing.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the block have the barbell shaped plug that goes in the back of it? Without it you won't ever build any pressure.
Check this post. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ug#post4549512

Last edited by LS1MCSS; 11-07-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

I checked the thread and what exactly do i look for when i take off that plug that goes in at a 45 degree angle?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Check the o-ring on the pick up tube that goes into the oil pump. I had the same thing happen to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

when i rev the car up the oil pressure shoots up but then when i let off it falls back to zero, i only did that a couple of times and really slow. Could my motor already be fubar? the guy at the machine shop that put it together said he primed it and that he saw oil coming out the rockers? I have never let the car run for more that two min checking oil pressure.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Ok i called the shop that worked on my motor and since it was not a new build they never removed the oil galley plugs. And they said they double checked the o rings and that stuff. They told me it has lost its prime because i let it sid for two months before installing it. I also changed the oil filter without filling it up with oil. Could this be my problem?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

I am also leaning toward the fact that the o-ring could be messed up on the pick up tube, or no o-ring at all since when you rev it a bit the O.P. goes up
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way to prime the oil system it to crank the engine over, how did he prime the system.. (just questioning that as there would only be on answer with this type of oil pump). Many have left there engine sitting for a lot longer and have started up ok.. other have had problem with no pressure for no reason.

If one of those barbell plugs were missing, you would not get any presure to the upper end of the engine. let alone to the oil filter and bypass plate above the oil filter.

Check the oil pump relief / bypass spring and valve.. could be stuck out or not closing completely. Other have filled the inside of the pump with some very heave oil or grease. I filled mine with STP.

Check to make sure that the oil pickup is correctly located in the oil pan. There as been some case of the pickup being pressed against the bottom of the pan and restricting the flow of oil.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Man that sounds like hell. I will pull the front of the motor off this weekend to see whats up with the oil pick up o ring. if i see its messed up then ill go from there i hope its not hitting the bottom. I thought the oil pick up was bolted to the windage tray? I have also read alot of threads on how to prime the motor and some guys say to fill it up with like 7 quarts of oil, some say to pour it down the oil sending unit location, and the machine shop told me i could pump it through the adapter right above the oil filter where i have my gauge hooke up to right now. I really dont think its the prime problem because i get oil pressure when i rev it up.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Ok i just finished taking off the timing cover and i emediately saw that the front oil galley plug was missing. DAMN!!!! I was pissed. So then i took off the brass plug above the oil filter and i can see a little white bone looking thing. So i guess at least they put that one. My question is what size is that front galley plug? I dont have some calipers handy. I really want to put this thing together tonight. I was told oreilly should have it but i need the size. Thanks.

here is a pick i jacked from another thread but the arrow points to the one i need.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, they told you they didn't take them out, but someone sure did. They also said they primed it and that would be a neat trick with the plug missing. I believe I would let them know what I found.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Well, they told you they didn't take them out, but someone sure did. They also said they primed it and that would be a neat trick with the plug missing. I believe I would let them know what I found.
Man i am deffenately going to talk to them tomorrow. I will do it civilized because i know i wont solve nothing by blowing off. But yeah i just came back from oreilly's and found that oil galley plug, hammered it in evenly and am in the process of putting the cover back on. What is messed up is that they told me they never took them out so i never would have thought that. I hope nothing is messed up internally. If so I'm getting something brand new
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got oil galley plugs from the dealer and it was like 8 bucks for both of them
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by j99fbody
i got oil galley plugs from the dealer and it was like 8 bucks for both of them
how did the one in the front look like? Did it look like your typical freeze plug?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

***!! I just installed everything except the accesories. i cranket it up without the coils and then i started it, instant oil pressure! Man im freaking happy as hell.