Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal, tuning, or stall?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Internal, tuning, or stall?

When the converter is not locked the lines on the graph are smooth and there are no hickups. But when the converter is locked the car has waves in it. This leads me to believe that is a converter lockup issue. The tranny is rebuilt, the stall is a 4000 fuddle with a 2.4 str. The car made a peak of 390rwhp locked with waves and 342rwhp unlocked. Also once its at a steady rpm you can hear it go up and down, up and down, up and down. It doesn't move the tack any but you hear it. I was thinking coils, that was until the unlocked run and it was straight and steady.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

I've been out there all morning looking for something astray, still don't see anything. Hopefully someone has experienced this bullshit. Apperently, before, my stall never locked up when cruising. That issue has been fixed, but now you hear what you see on the graph when you are driving at cruising speeds. What the hell is it?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a tuning issue
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know.....my fuddle wouldnt stay locked on the dyno....might be the stall.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Tuning, seems your verter is locking/unlocking/locking/unlocking
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well, at first driving at cruising speed it wouldn't lock. Then Ed took a ride with me and got it to lock. During the pulls it was commanded to lock and it still did the hickups. I'm really not sure what it is. I'm leaning towards stall, and thats not just the Captain Morgan talking right now.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

try another tuner
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX
try another tuner
??? Because another tuner would be able to lock it better? You do realize, that locking the converter on the dyno, is no more than hitting a button, right? Its an override. If you lock it up, and it doesnt stay locked, or chatters in and out, it has nothing to do with the tuner, or the tune.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Tuning, seems your verter is locking/unlocking/locking/unlocking
It was doing that with it commanded locked. It does it at cruise speed, with very little load.
It could be a bad electrical connection, a fluid pressure leak, a faulty clutch, several dif things.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 11-11-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I'm really not sure what it is. I'm leaning towards stall, and thats not just the Captain Morgan talking right now.
I told you what needs to be done. Properly diagnose the electrical system, and eliminate that from the equation.
Thats something thats beyond most of the keyboard tuners on here. Obvious by the responses posted.
Most of these guys have no clue how to diagnose an electrical problem, what equipment to use, how to use it, nothing.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT Griller
I dont know.....my fuddle wouldnt stay locked on the dyno....might be the stall.
Was it commanded to be locked and came unlocked? Or was it locked doing the same thing mine is doing?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Banned

We had a dyno day about 2 weeks ago. Dynoed a car with a Fuddle. It too would not stay locked, even though I was commanding locked. We got 1 run where it stayed locked, and couldnt make it do it again, it kept unlocking under heavy load.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Was it commanded to be locked and came unlocked? Or was it locked doing the same thing mine is doing?
Yes....Jason here at TSP was tuning it for me and he tried 3 different pulls while comanding it to lock......u could hear it lock then we would get on it and it would stay locked for a split second then just let go.

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
We had a dyno day about 2 weeks ago. Dynoed a car with a Fuddle. It too would not stay locked, even though I was commanding locked. We got 1 run where it stayed locked, and couldnt make it do it again, it kept unlocking under heavy load.
Have u ever seen what kinda top end efficiency these fuddles have? Im guessing it isnt to good.......Im trapping 106 with cam and stall...when full bolt ons i was trapping 105.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Have u ever seen what kinda top end efficiency these fuddles have? Im guessing it isnt to good.......Im trapping 106 with cam and stall...when full bolt ons i was trapping 105.
If you look at this guys graph, it almost a 50 hp loss, locked to unlocked. And thats not even with a good locked pull. I have NEVER seen one that inefficient. And I've dynoed and tuned hundreds of cars.
It may just be that its overstalled too, not sure.
Theres reasons some converters cost 450 bucks, and others cost 900.
PS too bad it wont stay locked under WOT. You could tune it to lock up at the track, on the big end, and see what kinda gains you get.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

If you look at this guys graph, it almost a 50 hp loss, locked to unlocked. And thats not even with a good locked pull. I have NEVER seen one that inefficient. And I've dynoed and tuned hundreds of cars.
It may just be that its overstalled too, not sure.
Theres reasons some converters cost 450 bucks, and others cost 900.
PS too bad it wont stay locked under WOT. You could tune it to lock up at the track, on the big end, and see what kinda gains you get.
Yea i think im swapping out as soon as i can come up with the cash.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

This Fuddle converter was 625, not 300. This is the HP Street Series 4000 2.4 str.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yes....Jason here at TSP was tuning it for me and he tried 3 different pulls while comanding it to lock......u could hear it lock then we would get on it and it would stay locked for a split second then just let go. Have u ever seen what kinda top end efficiency these fuddles have? Im guessing it isnt to good.......Im trapping 106 with cam and stall...when full bolt ons i was trapping 105.
Do you have a graph that I can look at? Did you replace the converter with a new one?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have a graph that I can look at? Did you replace the converter with a new one?
Naw i havent replaced it yet.....I just got tuned like 3 weeks ago, so i didnt know that it could handle the load when it was locked.....Mine doesnt come unlocked on the highway it was only on the dyno runs where he tried to lock it that it wouldnt hold.....It drives fine around town and on the highway......I can tell tho at the track that im lacking some topend.......Ill try and find my dyno sheets and post them up for ya.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

This Fuddle converter was 625, not 300. This is the HP Street Series 4000 2.4 str.
When I commented on the price of converters, I wasnt talking about yours specifically, as I had no idea what it cost. It was a general statement about different levels of quality parts.
On another note, I'm not sure your problem is in the converter.
I think its awfully loose, and soaks up too much power, but the issues you have may not be the converter itself.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

??? Because another tuner would be able to lock it better? You do realize, that locking the converter on the dyno, is no more than hitting a button, right? Its an override. If you lock it up, and it doesnt stay locked, or chatters in and out, it has nothing to do with the tuner, or the tune.
i said that because one tuner fucked up my TC so bad to the point where i would have lost it or my transmission if i didnt take it to MTI. The converter would randomly go in and out of lock while driving.
I took it to MTI to get a second opinion becasue the original tuner told me my transmission was going out. MTI had it for 30 min before they found that everything about my tune was wrong. they fixed it for me and my car runs great now. The original tuner would have cost me my transmission and also my motor (the had the AFR all jacked up too).

Search this Thread