Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on 5.3heads and cheater cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question on 5.3heads and cheater cam

im looking to go with the cheater cam along with picking up a set of 5.3 heads which i will be porting. will i see any issues with valve to piston clearence and will i have to change the push rod length

also will have have any loss with using long tube and no cats with the cheater cam ... thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

t t t
Old 11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CheaTR cam was designed as an emissions friendly cam with near stock idle quality but improved performance up top. While the exhaust duration sounds healthy, it should still clear by a pretty good margin.

As far as the headers go, you are probably better off getting them first, if you can run them. Then choose a camshaft that does exactly what you want, instead of one that is a compromise designed to work with with stock manifolds and converters. Patrick G has run the CheaTR cam with AFR 205 heads and made 400rwhp through the stock manifolds and cats, and then picked up another 33rwhp by switching to headers.

Those are great numbers, but he is an excellent tuner. You could make more power in the end by doing headers first, then a more traditional cam later.