Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highest HP/TQ available w/stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highest HP/TQ available w/stock heads

Has anyone dyno'ed 375+ rwhp with usual bolt-on's, cam, headers, etc? Reaserching cams and looking to see who is providing best performance upgrade w/o throwing $$$(stage II cyl heads) to upgrade #'s (Always easy with deep enough pockets)
Old 06-20-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Highest HP/TQ available w/stock heads

375rwhp is easliy achiveable with full bolts plus cam with stock heads. alot of people are in the 400rwhp area with full bolt ons with cam. i know of 1 person with the g5x2 cam and hes at 425rwhp running high 10's with stock heads.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Teching In

425!!! Impressive. Wonder who "tunes" that ride?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

newonad- LG Motorsports provided the PCM tuning on the car that 30th t/a is speaking of. The chassis/suspension tuning is (I believe) nearly non-existent, but is taken care of by the owner... who happens to be a member of this board.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

There are a ton of cams out there that make over 400@ the wheels thru stock heads it's just a matter of picking the right one for you, and getting a proper tune...
Old 06-21-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are people doing it with 224 cams like the C2. Theres a couple of guys floating around here that have 400+ with those cams (on M6 cars). I did it with a reverse split 228/224- the key is GOOD tuning.

Word from the wise- Go Big. If you can live with lope and letting the car "find it's idle" when you fire it up, go big. Most of the people I run across now are wanting bigger cams. If they have a 224, they want a 228 or if they have a 228 they want a G5X2. My point is this, these cars LOVE big cams and you might as well do it right the first time and go with as much cam as you can live with. When I bought my cam a year ago, people were like- "man that's TOO big". As it turns out, it's not big enough even with stock heads. As time passes, people are learning that the last 50 years of small block chevy hot rodding experience doesn't apply to the LS1. These motors EAT up cams and modding in general. The SB1 was kinda touchy as to how much cam you could put on any given set of heads- dependant upon what other mods were done the motor/ whole car. With the application of OBDII, most of the inefficiency and guesswork has been removed from the equation allowing a more controllable outcome of the engine.
That being said, Go big adn don't look back.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks all. I agree that the LS1 loves cams and old rules dont necessarily apply. Using a reverse split 228/224, I want to maximize the potential of exsisting parts so when a head swap is necessary, all of the 30-50hp will be appreciated.