Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another no oil pressure post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:17 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another no oil pressure post!

OK, I finished up my truck last nite after putting in new pistons, cam and t chain. I reached in to turn the key and it immediately came to life. The oil pressure came up to almost 80 like it always has. I let it warm up and topped off the coolant, took it for a short test drive and parked it. Everything was cool. I go back this morning to put in the grill and clean out the bed-was gonna go for a spin, and I start it up and it has NO oil pressure. WTF!? I loosened the filter and started it and nothing came out. It has lost prime, but how and why and what can I do? I can guarantee that the infamous O-ring is not my problem I am 100% sure it went in without getting damaged or displaced. I am thinking about taking out the pressure sender and trying to put some oil in that hole, but am unfamiliar with the way an LS1 engine oils. This BITES!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Restricted User

Default Re: Another no oil pressure post!

The sending unit is out of the question since you loosened the filter and no oil came out. Maybe assembly lube clogged the pickup tube screen or something else has. Drop the pan if you can and see.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:39 AM
11 Second Truck Club

OK,update. I poured a total of about 12 quarts into the crankcase and raised the back of the truck about 4 feet off the ground and started it up. The gauge flickered a little so I brought the revs up to about 2000 and it caught pressure. I then drained the crankcase, refilled with fresh oil, and drove it about 20 miles with no probs. When I got back I let it sit and idle in gear and I noticed the pressure was a little lower than it used to be, but it jumped to 60 by 2000rpm so I said good enuff. I turned it off, waited about 10 second and restarted-guess what.....NO F"ING OIL PRESSURE!! WTF AGAIN? I guess maybe it's the o-ring, huh. Does anybody know if the o-ring is supposed to be a regular round type or if the rubber is 'posed to be flattened kind of like a wedding ring only not that flat. Because mine was flat when I took it apart but I just thought it was made that way. I know it is in right and that it didn't get damaged putting it in, but I think it is not sealing up. The only dealer around here that is open on Sat don't have one so I am down and out again.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:52 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I had a truck do the same thing, no oil in filter, but it was that oil pump relief valve sticking.

That O-ring is supposed to be a round o-ring, it gets flat like that after its been run for a while.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:25 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Sounds like its the pressure releif valve sticking. Time to buy a new oil pump.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:57 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I found a new O-ring so I dropped the pan and replaced it and still no oil pressure. I have what I consider to be a fair amount of metal in the pan-I guess from starting it up dry a few times. I am about to pull my freaking hair out!! I guess I will go back to the dealer Monday and get a new pump, pickup, and o-ring. If that don't fix it you guys might want to check the classifieds for a cheap truck!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:55 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I pulled the front cover and oil pump off this morning and disassembled the pump. The valve in there under the allen head plug was "stucker than crap"! I guess that is the prob. What can cause some crap like this? Sheesh I thought the oil pump on my big block Buick was crap. This oil system is
Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like its the pressure releif valve sticking. Time to buy a new oil pump.
Is this how LS1 oil pumps normaly fail or is the infamous pump failure due to some other type of break-down?