Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damnit ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damnit ! ! !

My TR224 (and other stuff) only produced 341 rwhp @ 5500 RPM (and then dropped off). So, I called Thunder and Paul says that the numbers are low and that it should peak at about 6100 and carry out to about 6600. He tells me that it sounds as though the cam is a tooth off.

Anyways I'm in the process of taking the front of the motor apart and planning on degreeing the cam (with help). I finally gave up for the night when the damned crank pulley wouldn't come off and then I chipped the edge of the pulley using the puller.

So any input on degreeing the cam and stuff would be appreciated. Since we are 99.8% sure that the cam was installed "dot to dot". Well I hope to find/figure something out tomorrow morning.

I can't stand the idea of something not being right on the car, much less not performing the way it should. Afterall I paid a lot of time and money into headers, cam and stuff (see here ) to only pick up 34 rwhp. Oh yeah there are still some tuning issues too! Hopefully a lot of it ties into the cam being off

Thanks for reading and lettin' me vent
Old 06-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Damnit ! ! !

It could be that you have too much lifter preload; do a search on this others peaked at a low rpm for this reason. That's probably the problem if your valve train is pretty quiet.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay thanks! I'll look into anything to get this "taken care of"

I've wondered about the Isky 295D springs that I went with. they're supposed to be better than the Camp 918s and that was when there was the problem with 918 breakage.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey, dunno how to help u but just wanted to tell u that u have a sweet lookin car. I love the coated 10 spokes.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:36 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I don't think its too much lifter preload. When you upgrade to a bigger cam and use the same length pushrods, you get LESS lifter preload. I'm assuming he used 7.400" hardened pushrods, so its not going to be the issue, especially with unmilled heads.

Dunno what it is tho, could be lots of stuff...maybe unplug the PCM and let it reset, then dyno. If the numbers are still low that'd eliminate the 02 sensors being the issue. Did you get an A/F ratio reading on the dyno?
Old 06-22-2003, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Dude, that's totally a tuning issue, tuned that car should make, high 390's to low 400's to the wheels.Don't waste your time taking it apart and breaking anything else...You need to buck up and get a real wide band dyno tune on that bitch and she'll scream!
Old 06-22-2003, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys for the help (and compliments)
We were tuning on a wide band Dynojet (made over 20 runs). I did run into the Cat Over-Temp protection crap though. But why wouldn't it power up into the 6000 rpm range? Of course i'm using LS1-Edit and will be tuning more properly. I s to a wide band O2 sensor (from Tech-Edge) with the PDA and all, through a freind. So I'll be pretty damned close before I go back to the dyno.

Troy
P.S. Thanks to Jon Green through this board I'll be replacing the pulley with a stock one for very low cost
Old 06-22-2003, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah!... What happened to my signature?
Old 06-22-2003, 04:25 AM
Restricted User

The COT could be the culprit. Using the WB if you seen it lean out a little, and the COT gets triggere it make your power drop off as you explained. I figured you would have "!" that as soon as you got LS1Edit. Good-luck and post back your findings and results..

Charlie.