Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD knocking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LOUD knocking...

Ok, figured I'd ask. I think this is going to cost me a lot but please advise. Going through a divorce. Didn't drive my camaro for like a month. Then, went to work one day. When starting up from leaving work, got a LOUD knocking, REALLY embarrassing and annoying. Car seems to run fine, but was afraid to push hard on gas. Got it home parked it and its now been sitting abour 3-4 months. Think its a rod cracked? How much do they cost? Is there a write-up online on how to remove the motor?

I did heads and cam swap myself, so I can tear that far into it comfortably. I'm going to retorque my rockers this weekend just make sure its not just a broken valvespring or something.

But what can I do to check this out? I'm seriously in the poor house. I fought and fought and got custody of my son. Not trying to play a sympathy trip but I'm strapped for money and would love to get my car at least driveable again. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might wanna check and see if it's something as small as a bent pushrod first... maybe a lifter... if it's rod knock then i believe you have no other choice but to pull the engine and start replacing rods, bearings, possibly pistons...

I know exactley how you feel... cept I had all of these go at the same time... bent pushrods, failed lifters, and now i've got rod knock and the car is in the shop getting the engine rebuilt...

but like i said, i'd try the pushrods first and see what they look like... easy and cheap fix if it's those...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I'm PRAYING for bent pushrods. If its a rod, and I bought a 383 stroker kit would that be all Ineed? They have them on ebay for like $1700, pushrods, rods, retainers, nuts, bolts, pistons even. Thoughts?

Also through searching I was reading about piston slap. But it seems really loud. I don't think thats what it is.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
yeah I'm PRAYING for bent pushrods. If its a rod, and I bought a 383 stroker kit would that be all Ineed? They have them on ebay for like $1700, pushrods, rods, retainers, nuts, bolts, pistons even. Thoughts?

Also through searching I was reading about piston slap. But it seems really loud. I don't think thats what it is.
Try my buddy Ryne over at CMS... his number is in my sig and he's a sponser on here... He'll give you a good deal once your ready and I'd mention the pricing you saw on Ebay
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

ty soul. I'll keep that in mind. Know of any writeups for engine rebuilding? IE: How to pull the motor yourself, and tell if stuff is broke what to replace etc?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

When mine was knocking it was a spun brg.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

here's the write up on the engine removal

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=51

as far as finding out whats broke... I think for the most part you'll see what's broke when you start tearing it apart... PICTURES speak a million words... so take a lot and post em up GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

will do soul, ty
Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

hey sorry to be dumb, but those removal instructions are for LT1, do you know of any ls1 engine removal writeups?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

hey sorry to be dumb, but those removal instructions are for LT1, do you know of any ls1 engine removal writeups?
are they? I didn't even look... my bad

Last edited by Soul TKR; 11-27-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

this should be the right one

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=393454
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To detect knock I use a wooden dowel or screw driver, while the car is running and im under it *SAFELY* thats a sure fire way to tell if its bottom end noise.

If it is, you gotta yank the motor, or keep an eye out for a used/cheap short block. I would personally try to rebuild if I could.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds probably more like a spun bearing from the way it started knocking but hard to say.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

how do I know if its a spun bearing, and how much does that cost to fix? I just want to get my car running again as cheap as possible.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

also STUPID question here... can I remove all pushrods and start up the motor to see if the knocking goes away or would this be a REALLY bad idea? Probably bad idea cuz nothing would open/close the valves properly correct?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Bad Idea!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

yeah soul. Thought so. For what its worth I found this video of what a spun rod bearing sounds like. My car doesn't sound like this. It sounds like a clacking coming from the top of the motor. I PRAY it is a rocker came loose and that is the pushrod bouncing around. Just tighten the rocker problem fixed. I PRAY thats what it is.

http://www.n2s1.net/RacingVideos/havoc_enginesound.wmv
Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds can travel wierd in engines sometimes can hard to pinpoint , but ofcourse its worth checking rockers and pushrods first if its not that or nothing else obvious , then if thats not it, you will have to take the motor apart to verify what it is unfortunatly.

I hope it turns out nothing major.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah soul. Thought so. For what its worth I found this video of what a spun rod bearing sounds like. My car doesn't sound like this. It sounds like a clacking coming from the top of the motor. I PRAY it is a rocker came loose and that is the pushrod bouncing around. Just tighten the rocker problem fixed. I PRAY thats what it is.

http://www.n2s1.net/RacingVideos/havoc_enginesound.wmv
yea that sounded pretty bad... CLACKING is the exact word I would used when my lifter failed

course, you could have the same problem as me "rod knock"

how's the car actually running?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I limped it home (months ago) from work, but it seemed to be runny just fine just loud as hell and embarrassing.