Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i do it myself or leave it to the Pros??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i do it myself or leave it to the Pros??

I know a lot of you guys installed your own cams but who actually thought it was hard and would never do it again?

Im wondering should i do it myself or let the Mechanics do it?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

DIY after your first time, you will feel like you can do it a million times with your eyes close, im jk but use the install guide at www.installuniversity.com
Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

it wasn't difficult at all besides the crankshaft balancer and replacing the valvesprings. But I had a crappy valvespring tool and the balancer isn't really that difficult just make sure you have the proper tools. but I will definately do it again myself. It's definately a lot better then paying someone all that money to do it.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Three things.

1. Correct tools
2. Correct procedure/methods
3. Allow ample time

If you plan to follow ls1howto for pulley removal/installation you are already in trouble. Read up on others mistakes so you avoid them. The job itself is relatively easy.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of it now and it really hasn't been hard at all so far. I have everything I've needed to do the job except for the correct 3 jaw puller to remove the crank timing gear. Mine wasn't working so I rented the larger one from Autozone last night and off it came in about two minutes. I am following the www.ls1howto.com guide and checking everything off as it is completed....so far so good.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Launching!

the only part im worried about is the valve springs weich tool can i get and is a reliable method to do the tdc method? like put the piston at tdc so i can drop the valve it wont go down far?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 AM

If the car is your only mode of transportation, leave it to the pros. If not, do it yourself. I have done several. But, I also have a friend who is going to school to be a mechanic and fucked his up. Installed the timming chain slightly off and had piston to valve contact and killed the shortblock. Car is now a 370 iron block.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

^^^ word
play it safe

opps
<-----studderin
Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

if you have installed the lt's cam wont be hard at all
Old 12-08-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cpd004
I am following the www.ls1howto.com guide and checking everything off as it is completed....so far so good.
Don't use the longer bolt method for installation of the pulley.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Once you get the pulley and timing cover off put the old bolt back in and spin the crank so your DOTs are exactly in the DOT to DOT (12 o'clock crank-6 o'clock cam) relationship. Once you have this set DO NOT move the crank. At this point you can change the cam. If you have a lot of experience you don't need to do this step, but if you had that much experience you wouldn't be asking for help here. The tutorials I've read do not tell you to do this extra step, but it helps avoid the problems some people have after reassembly with P/V issues. You can use the longer 120mm bolt to get the pulley started back onto the crank snout. I did it plenty of times before I finally sprang for the $44 custom tool. If plan to do the job now and don't have the special tool use the longer bolt. If you have a week to wait order the tool now and use it. Regardless of what method you use be sure the pulley is plumb and square to the crank snout before you begin to torque it down. As you begin to install the pulley turn it around and look closely at where the pulley mates to the crank snout. You'll see a small step. It's there for a purpose. Use the step to your advantage.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just take your time and get the Crane dual valve spring compressor.

You will thank yourself later.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
I know a lot of you guys installed your own cams but who actually thought it was hard and would never do it again?

Im wondering should i do it myself or let the Mechanics do it?

Its not hard and I would do it again.did it twice on both my cars.are you kind of mechanically inclined? if yes do it yourself and follow these guys advice and read from other peoples mistake that have posted.if not let a trusted mechanic do it.Install Univ.ls1 how to is your friend.good luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

+1 for doing it yourself. It's really not that bad, of course I didn't think that motor mounts or rod bolts were that bad either...

If you follow the guide on LS1Howto you'll be fine. Being in Texas I'm sure there is a member or two close to you that could give a hand if needed.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Im doing my own cam install... I would just read over www.ls1howto.com a couple of times, and follow it word for word!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i changed my own oil today. woohoo!!! plus one for the DIYers. lol
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Did mine last weekend, I was surprised how easy it was. I actually enjoyed most of it, other than the oil pump/pickup because I was so nervous I wasn't going to have oil pressure

Just make sure you give yourself enough time.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Do yourself a favor and buy the tool to install the pulley! If not you take the chance in ruining the threads in the crank! Many of people have broke the bolts off in the crank trying to install the pulley!....Other than take your time. Double check the alignment of your marks on the timing chain. Then, double check the alignment of your marks on your timing chain again!.... It is best/cheaper to learn from other peoples mistakes! Not your own!....And, If your not sure of something. There is a bunch of good guys on this site that will answer any, and all your questions!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the middle of a cam swap right now...since I had to pull my head to fix the spark plug hole that the previous owner stripped . Pulling heads, might as well do a cam swap. My biggest problem was actually the exhaust. Hooker LT's now part of the work order after some hacking up of the stock setup (first time PB Blaster failed me). Try it yourself if you have the time. It's well worth it. The only reason to not do it yourself is not having the time.