Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking PTV with welded lifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking PTV with welded lifter

Does anyone have any pictures of how they welded their lifter to be solid for PTV checking. I plan on doing this over the weekend and I thought some pics before hand would be helpful.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just use checking springs and measure the drop at each 2 degree position rather than clay, I think its easier.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also take apart an old lifter and replace the spring with small washers. This makes the lifter solid and allows for easy checking.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Just use checking springs and measure the drop at each 2 degree position rather than clay, I think its easier.
I agree, but it does require a metal strap, dial indicator, checking springs, and a degree wheel. Most on here don't have all those essentials.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok more questions cause I thought I knew what to do but got confused when getting ready to do this. I have checking springs and I am going to make 2 solid lifters. I know what my pushrod length should be so I was going to just use a pushrod. I then read that this can cause issues because the lifter is now solid and londer then it should be. So I now know I need to get an adjustable Pushrod to make it right. Is this correct or am I alright to use the pushrod I am pretty sure will work? And when I have the rocker at zero lash that is when the spring is all the way up and the rocker cannot be wiggled around due to it being tight and the pushrod at the correct length?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Chop, please do yourself a favor and get a pair of adjustable pushrods. Yes you can measure your PTV clearance w/out them but...why would you not. Man,they will make that job so much easier and then you can use them to determine what length pushrod you really need for your combination. Why use a pushrod you "think" you need when you can accurately determine what you need exactly. Comp Cams even has some that are marked like a micrometer so you don't need a long travel caliper to measure them with. I can't believe you don't have room in the budget for another 20 bucks or so they cost.

I applaud anyone who is willing to take on a project like this and learn along the way. Yes it's hard work work, but thats what makes it rewarding. I hope I do not sound like I am scolding because that is not my intention. Giving yourself a better chance of success by eliminating guess work with basic measurements will let you concentrate on the bigger picture of what steps will be necessary to reach your performance goals. As I said before, it's your program, and yours alone.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Die Grinder
Chop, please do yourself a favor and get a pair of adjustable pushrods. Yes you can measure your PTV clearance w/out them but...why would you not. Man,they will make that job so much easier and then you can use them to determine what length pushrod you really need for your combination. Why use a pushrod you "think" you need when you can accurately determine what you need exactly. Comp Cams even has some that are marked like a micrometer so you don't need a long travel caliper to measure them with. I can't believe you don't have room in the budget for another 20 bucks or so they cost.

I applaud anyone who is willing to take on a project like this and learn along the way. Yes it's hard work work, but thats what makes it rewarding. I hope I do not sound like I am scolding because that is not my intention. Giving yourself a better chance of success by eliminating guess work with basic measurements will let you concentrate on the bigger picture of what steps will be necessary to reach your performance goals. As I said before, it's your program, and yours alone.
Learning how to make my own adjustable pushrods (didn't have time to drive 100miles to buys some) and then truly learning about preload and how to measure PtV was the best part of my build. Now I know the facts. I'd almost like to do it again soon...not real soon, but soon. I'm thinking about bumping my CR up if the hot months don't give me any detonation problems. So far I've had 0 KR on 91 octane fuel.
I'm with Die Grinder, do it right and then you can sleep at night. It will be worth it for the education alone.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Teching In

ssheets, I like your style. When I did my motor, I never touched a welder in my life. Now I own a welder and I put a roll bar in my car myself-well mostly by myself. I'm not going to say it wasn't without it's moments and I don't think I want to do it again soon but...when I look at it and I know how every bar was cut and welded and notched because I did it,I have to admit it gives me great satisfaction. Hell, I might make my own adjustable pushrods next time!

Na, I,m too lazy, who am I trying to kid?

I hope Chop Shop doesn't feel like were piling on. I just think if he's got the ***** to do something like this; which it seems he does, than the best thing we can do is to be honest and say: You can do this. You can figure this out. This is the way. Once you have those adjustable pushrods were here to help. If he needs help of course!

Quick Reply: Checking PTV with welded lifter