Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Cooler on 99? WTF?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Cooler on 99? WTF?

Do the 1999 Formula's come with power steering coolers?
WTF!!!
There literally is one on my friend's Formula and it was a PITA to get it off!
Do we really need it?
This is a SHOCKER to us as we have never seen one!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some cars have them but they arent very good...
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are they needed? I say yes. Check out the power steering resevoir on any f-body without one and you'll see evidence of the fluid boiling over past the cap.

Is the inline factory one the best option, probably not. You're better off getting a plate style cooler from one of the big warehouses along with some fluid lines for less than $50.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Z didn't come with one and I have never had any sign of fluid overflow. But then again, I don't carve corners with it either.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Mine formed a leak between the coolant and power steering side. I just bypassed it. No overflow or boiling of my power steering fluid for over a year now. Works well enough without, but I would say that a plate cooler would be a smarter move. It's on my list of eventuals.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
My Z didn't come with one and I have never had any sign of fluid overflow. But then again, I don't carve corners with it either.
So you don't have any signs of any power steering fluid around your cap?

I'm not saying it's huge, but there is evidence there.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There could be some. Not that I've noticed while under the hood, and I'm under there more than I probably should be. Or maybe not enough. Either way I'll look closely next time I'm in there. Another thing that I should mention is this is by no means my daily driver. So someone who drove their car on a regular basis may have more of an issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ever autox or road race, you will get overflow. Or doing donuts.

Check out www.frrax.com for much better solutions (plate style) than the factory option.

Last edited by Viper; 12-21-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are very simple to remove & all you need to do is re-route the power steering hose thats connected to it & then buy a top radiator hose that comes in one long piece w/o the cooler. Its like a 10 minute job & the hose cost like $20 max.

Mine ruptured & was leakin power steering fluid into my coolant, so i got rid of the POS & never looked back. Haven't had a single issue & i dont feel they are needed unless you plan to autocross & really heat the pump up.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

The PS pump will run at over 12psi when the rpm comes up. However our rack needs only about 3 psi to turn the front tires. So the fluid is bypassed in the rack and flows back to the pump. When auto crossing or doing the driver event weekends you stay at high rpm alot. All that fluid moving around creates a lot of heat. My Z28 did not have a PS cooler installed by the general. The cooler is mostly found on the SS models. I run royal purple fluid and yet ruined 2 PS pumps on the track in 1 summer. I bought a cooler with hoses off a guy and installed it. No more PS pump issues even on the track. There is another option if you do not want to run a cooler. You can install a Turn One PS pump that is specially made to lower the pressure and thereby greatly reducing the amount of fluid bypassed and the resulting heat. Hope this info helps
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbraun
The PS pump will run at over 12psi when the rpm comes up. However our rack needs only about 3 psi to turn the front tires. So the fluid is bypassed in the rack and flows back to the pump. When auto crossing or doing the driver event weekends you stay at high rpm alot. All that fluid moving around creates a lot of heat. My Z28 did not have a PS cooler installed by the general. The cooler is mostly found on the SS models. I run royal purple fluid and yet ruined 2 PS pumps on the track in 1 summer. I bought a cooler with hoses off a guy and installed it. No more PS pump issues even on the track. There is another option if you do not want to run a cooler. You can install a Turn One PS pump that is specially made to lower the pressure and thereby greatly reducing the amount of fluid bypassed and the resulting heat. Hope this info helps
Yes, at the end of the run (I beleive all of 02s) they put them on all V8 Camaros, but it used to be a option only Z28 or a standard SS item. In 02 it seems GM just wanted to use up all of their Fbody inventory so the Z28s got a lot of goodies that used to be options.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssheets
Yes, at the end of the run (I beleive all of 02s) they put them on all V8 Camaros, but it used to be a option only Z28 or a standard SS item. In 02 it seems GM just wanted to use up all of their Fbody inventory so the Z28s got a lot of goodies that used to be options.
They started in 01. They weren't trying ti use up all the inventory, they were trying to stop warranty claims on burnt up pumps.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper
No 99 had it unless it was a WS6 formula. Just was not an option you could check. It could be prior owner had it added.
That is totally untrue. The only options I checked on my 1999 non-WS6 Formula were the T56 transmission, the power steering cooler and the GSC tires.
If you wanted it and went to a dealership that would actually look into ordering what you wanted; you could get it.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" If you wanted it and went to a dealership that would actually look into ordering what you wanted; you could get it."

Sorry, I had a crappy dealership that wouldn't do that. And when I bought my 2nd 99 in January 2000 they were hard to come by (any LS1). I had a black TA before this pewter one.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viper
No 99 had it unless it was a WS6 formula. Just was not an option you could check. It could be prior owner had it added.
I vote Bogus too, my friend's 99 formula is NOT a WS6 and again, his has it

thanks for all the info everybody

and Janice, contact me plz
thanks,
jon

Search this Thread