Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

asa cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asa cam question

i know i need the valve springs for this cam, and i know some people upgrade the pushrods but can i get away with this install with stock pushrods. i barely ever turn this motor past 5500 rpm's. i've heard stock will bend at 6200 or somewhere along there. any truth to that either?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

why not spend the extra few dollors and get the hardened pushrods?

its cheap insurance trust me, everyone else is gonna say the same thing just so ya know
Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
why not spend the extra few dollors and get the hardened pushrods?

its cheap insurance trust me, everyone else is gonna say the same thing just so ya know
Agreed. However, I did run the stock pushrods on mine for over a year with 6400rpm shift points. Never had a problem and all 16 were perfectly fine when pulled.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lightemupls1
i know i need the valve springs for this cam, and i know some people upgrade the pushrods but can i get away with this install with stock pushrods. i barely ever turn this motor past 5500 rpm's. i've heard stock will bend at 6200 or somewhere along there. any truth to that either?
You don't get a cam that size and not spin it over 5500. Hardened pushrods are about $100 wait and do it right if you can't afford it right now.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is your car an automatic or a manual? I used the stock pushrods when I had an automatic. The car had a TR224 cam and a set of Manley valvesprings, I took it to the track a lot and never had an issue.

If your car is a manual then I would say a hardened or chromoly pushrod is a better idea, but it really depends how much you abuse the car. They are cheap insurance, but not 100% necessary in my opinion, again, it depends on how you're driving it and how many times you bang the limiter.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

+2 on pushrods. you're gonna be right there when you change the springs. I understand saving money where you can, but that's cheap insurance, especially so you wont have to always worry about driving it to hard for fear of bending pushrods. Anyway, let us know how the cam swap turns out. You'll love the cam!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Break open that wallet and dig out a Ben Franklin for a set of real pushrods..
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocksws6
You don't get a cam that size and not spin it over 5500. Hardened pushrods are about $100 wait and do it right if you can't afford it right now.
I agree. This cam peaks @ 6000 and carries to 6400 (where I shift). For $100, its cheap insurance!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

yes the pushrods will bend easy we bent 3 stock one one night at the track but its a week link so my bro went back with stock ones $200 @ gm for 16 but if something is going to break or bend i would rather it be a pushrod and not a valve. that happend from missing a gear but if it's a auto you can get away with upgrading them later if it the cash holding you back.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by socal
yes the pushrods will bend easy we bent 3 stock one one night at the track but its a week link so my bro went back with stock ones $200 @ gm for 16 but if something is going to break or bend i would rather it be a pushrod and not a valve. that happend from missing a gear but if it's a auto you can get away with upgrading them later if it the cash holding you back.
You paid $200 for another set of stock pushrods......when you could buy a nice set high performance pushrods for $100...somehow that does not compute..

PS A good set of pushrods is not going to break your valves.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
You paid $200 for another set of stock pushrods......when you could buy a nice set high performance pushrods for $100...somehow that does not compute..

PS A good set of pushrods is not going to break your valves.
many people have floated valves and gotten away with only bent pushrods(with stock pushrods),, where as a hardened pushrod would have bent the valves before the pushrods
Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
many people have floated valves and gotten away with only bent pushrods(with stock pushrods),, where as a hardened pushrod would have bent the valves before the pushrods
You obviously do not know how to ajust your rev limiter..on top of that if you run the correct valve train components you will not "float" your valves. I have been hot rodding and running NHRA Nationals and points meets for over 40 years and have never bent a valve...but then I have never run stock pushrods either...Wanna buy some stock pushrods??
Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

You obviously do not know how to ajust your rev limiter..on top of that if you run the correct valve train components you will not "float" your valves. I have been hot rodding and running NHRA Nationals and points meets for over 40 years and have never bent a valve...but then I have never run stock pushrods either...Wanna buy some stock pushrods??

ha ha adjust my rev limiter you so funny. if you've been at this for over 40 years you would know no matter what your rev limiter is set at it wont stop the motor from over reving due to mechanical force that will keep the motor spining up and over reving floating the valves and bending the pushrods if you miss a gear. yes its a 6 speed. Now in an auto this is a lot less likly to happen since missing a gear never happens and you would just have to blow the tires away, brake a u joint or rearend, or blow the tranny but then you have bigger problems but just cutting the fuel or ignition when the motor is rapidly reving isn't going to stop the centrifical force on the crank
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

i was just telling you the fact, it is true that on a stockish ls1 engine the (stock)pushrods usually bent first when a valve makes piston contact on a valve float, over rev situation

Last edited by jay_lt4; 12-28-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn you guys are right!! I better get these hardened pushrods out of there. Get them stockers back in there. Damn thanks for posting that up guys I could have broke a valve and lost a motor instead of a pushrod. Thanks guys.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Running stock pushrods so they will bend before the valves is quite possibly the most retarded thing ever. If you pick you valvespings accordingly, keep an eye on the pressures, and everything else is set up correctly, you will not have issues. With that being said, you have a better chance of dropping a valve from a broke spring.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bent a pushrod on bone stock motor...put heads and cam on, went hardened pushrods never looked back.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by socal
ha ha adjust my rev limiter you so funny. if you've been at this for over 40 years you would know no matter what your rev limiter is set at it wont stop the motor from over reving due to mechanical force that will keep the motor spining up and over reving floating the valves and bending the pushrods if you miss a gear. yes its a 6 speed. Now in an auto this is a lot less likly to happen since missing a gear never happens and you would just have to blow the tires away, brake a u joint or rearend, or blow the tranny but then you have bigger problems but just cutting the fuel or ignition when the motor is rapidly reving isn't going to stop the centrifical force on the crank
You and jay lt4 are not smart enough for me to argue with..I hope you two keep having fun living on fantasy island..
Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lightemupls1
I have been running the ASA cam with stock pushrods in my road race car for a year now, shifting at 6600 some times stretching it to 7000 and missed gears many times and no problems... yet
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

You and jay lt4 are not smart enough for me to argue with..I hope you two keep having fun living on fantasy island..
no i live in reality and dont mean disrespect to you and your experiences but these are mine and i was just sharing them with everyone and the guy who asked for opinions's inthe first place.

Quick Reply: asa cam question