Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to refer to a C5R engine as an "LS1"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is it ok to refer to a C5R engine as an "LS1"?

Sorry, I should have put this in the internal section. See this post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/837808-help-wrong-refer-c5r-engine-ls1.html

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seem that there are a lot of people out there are referring to any Gen III and IV engines as a LS1's engine..that is not techincally correct. Gen II, Gen IV and/or LSx would be a better term to use, but using the correct engine code would be better.

But they seem to do it instead of correctly identifying the correct engine with the correct code. They do this a lot on For Sale sites, ad and forum's. It seem that for the people selling 5.3's and 6.0 Truck engines, this is to there advantage to the un-educated buyers to trick them into thinking they are getting a LS1 or a Corvette or F-Body engine of some type.

Other have just referred to them as LS1's instead of trying to inform or educate other that are not educated on the Gen III/IV engine history. Just being lazy.

I alway refer to the correct engine code and explain what the correct engine code is to other if I can.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well it depends. no its not an ls1. but neither is an ls6....so i say if u r going to allow any other lsx based motor u kind of have to let that one be in the show. the block is interchangeable w/ an ls1 so i dont see why not.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

For example, in the story, they put a C5r engine in a 99 Camaro and then wrote "It's the fastest LS1 powered car ever!".. uh, no it's not.. lol

I fixed the story, thanks for the feedback and helping me win my argument
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
For example, in the story, they put a C5r engine in a 99 Camaro and then wrote "It's the fastest LS1 powered car ever!".. uh, no it's not.. lol

I fixed the story, thanks for the feedback and helping me win my argument
well if u go off that logic then u kind of half to eliminate all cars that use an aftermarket head casting. although i see what u mean it kind of goes both ways. because after u swap the heads out its no longer and ls1. then think of the cars that were the lucky few to leave the assembly line with an ls6 block? they were derived from the ls1 platform as well but they dont have an "ls1" block. i say they can still say its an ls1 but there needs to be an sterki. like an ls1 on steriods
Old 12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
well if u go off that logic then u kind of half to eliminate all cars that use an aftermarket head casting. although i see what u mean it kind of goes both ways. because after u swap the heads out its no longer and ls1. then think of the cars that were the lucky few to leave the assembly line with an ls6 block? they were derived from the ls1 platform as well but they dont have an "ls1" block. i say they can still say its an ls1 but there needs to be an sterki. like an ls1 on steriods
No, I wasn't thinking of heads.. although the C5r block in the story also had C5r heads so it was even LESS of an LS1. lol

LS1/LS6 is dicey, but I still feel it cheating to call a C5r engine an LS1.. Does that mean you could call an LS1 engine a C5r? lol
Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
No, I wasn't thinking of heads.. although the C5r block in the story also had C5r heads so it was even LESS of an LS1. lol

LS1/LS6 is dicey, but I still feel it cheating to call a C5r engine an LS1.. Does that mean you could call an LS1 engine a C5r? lol
although i like the thought process of flipping it around on me this argument could go on for years lol. honestly if u say worlds fastest ls1 then it would have to have ls1 heads also. after that its just an lsx at that point anything is game
Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Technically, a C5R is not a GM Engine code.. C5R is a 5th Gen Corvette that the Factor has released as a production Racing model that has a lot of modification and changes that are GM Designed.

I just would feel better if everyone used the correct engine code..
ie...:
I am using a iron LQ9 (or LSx or LS7) block to replace or upgrade my 4th Gen F-Body that was LS1 powered...
or
I have modified my LS1 block with aftermarket heads and a factory LS7 cam.
or
I am using a engine block that came out of a C5R or is the same block as that a C5R is using.

Maybe I am just being a bit ****... and IMO all of the newbe's would better off if they started learning the correct codes and terms on what they are not into now.

I work in a Technical IT World that support clients.. and if they don't tell me correct information... it usually will lead into incorrect results and take longer to resolve there problems. So I tend to use Technically correct terms in what I am saying or asking out of habit.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm, I have a GTO LS1 which came with the LS6 intake, I installed Z06 heads, roller rockers and am going with an aftermarket cam, all going into an S10. What should I call IT?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NaturalMystic831
Hmmm, I have a GTO LS1 which came with the LS6 intake, I installed Z06 heads, roller rockers and am going with an aftermarket cam, all going into an S10. What should I call IT?
Fast
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

To me, the heads make the motor. Unless its aftermarket heads. You could say its LS1 based, but if it has C5-R heads on it, then its a C5-R (or new name LS7-R)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
To me, the heads make the motor. Unless its aftermarket heads. You could say its LS1 based, but if it has C5-R heads on it, then its a C5-R (or new name LS7-R)
So my ls1 with 853 castings is an LM7?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gen III or Gen IV based engines ? Look at how and what cdoes were used for the SBC Gen I (LT-1, L48, etc) and II (LT1 and LT4) along with BBC's (Z16, LS5, LS6, ZL1, L88,etc).. If you research all of the engine code GM used.. it is endless.. and I expect GM to keep coming out with more Gen IV engine code .. what are we up to now on the LS series... LS9 !

If you base it on the heads.. and have a LS2 with Dart, PRC, etc Heads.. what are you going to call it ?? a Dart engine, or a PRC engine.. ??

Just call it a LSx or a Gen III/IV engine with xxx Heads, yyy crank,zzz.etc...

Quick Reply: Is it ok to refer to a C5R engine as an "LS1"?