Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam.. Overloading with gas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New cam.. Overloading with gas??

Ok guys, first pretty day I have had since I got my car back. I finally got to take it out today! So, I was sitting at a red light and opened it up when I pulled out, everything felt fine. I looked in my mirror and seen a hazey look that was no doubt smoke and I dont believe it was from the tires.. its just like 45 here. I know with carb'd motors, its typical to overload on gas, but could this be true with FI cars too? .. My car never smoked before the installed, at all.

Note: I am also throwing a code because I have 2 o2 sensors going out. When I got the final tune last Thursday, they were still working, just reading slow. Could this possibly be my problem also?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

Not sure where you had it done, but replace the O2 sensors and take it back to get retuned. You need the sensors in working order to nail a tune, and it seems like yours isn't.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, he said it was the "front 2" sensors. Im guessing these are the ones at the bottom of the headers?? Where can I get these at anyways? He was saying that if I didnt get a good type that they would go out in no time again..
Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

Yes, the front 2 are the ones reading gasses for the ECM to adjust for.. the rears are only telling the ECM that the catalytic convertors are working.

You can swap your rear ones to the front, and vice versa, and delete the rear O2 codes if you still have them.. or you can go to a parts store and order new ones.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, if I switch them out, will it still be throwing codes when I put the slow ones in the rear? It will just be a temporary fix, but would it be better for now??
Old 01-01-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Ok, if I switch them out, will it still be throwing codes when I put the slow ones in the rear? It will just be a temporary fix, but would it be better for now??

As said above. Have your tuner just tune out your back two sensors so they don't throw codes. They are for the emision police only. Your front o2's have to work well cause they help calculate A/f ratio to the engine via ECM hence affect how the car runs!!.