Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need my ASP machined for Double Timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do I need my ASP machined for Double Timing chain?

I'm reading on ls1howto and it says that I may need to have my ASP pulley machined if I use a double roller timing chain. But it says esp for the corvette ones. I dont have a corvette one. Do Need to worry about it. I am using a roller master double roller.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

That was quite a few years ago. I believe the ones that are sold these days have the step already machined into them. Unless you have a old ASP(5 years) it's probably OK, but you could contact them to be sure. That happened back when people first started using the double chains on the GenIII just after the stone age.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
That was quite a few years ago. I believe the ones that are sold these days have the step already machined into them. Unless you have a old ASP(5 years) it's probably OK, but you could contact them to be sure. That happened back when people first started using the double chains on the GenIII just after the stone age.
O I got my ASP bout 2 yeaqrs ago.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Ya I know you used to have to get them machined and the SLP pulley would work as is. Not sure about the new one's though? I believe on ls1howto.com or whatever it is has a picture, etc about it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Websy21
Ya I know you used to have to get them machined and the SLP pulley would work as is. Not sure about the new one's though? I believe on ls1howto.com or whatever it is has a picture, etc about it.
Yea thats where I read I need it machined.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to measure from the end of crank to the oil pump,then measure the pulley length with a caliper,we had to take off the .125 from the pulley, the exact thickness of the alunimum spacers that comes with the rollmaster.Not sure how old the pulley is ,we bought it used 1 year ago.Just make sure you measure it, or you run the risk of it bottoming out the oil pump.You also need to grind inside the timing cover,it hits in about 4-5 spots.Put it on with out the gasket and you will see how it rocks back and forth.Grind down were it hits.The new timing set sticks out quite a bit further than the stock one.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
You need to measure from the end of crank to the oil pump,then measure the pulley length with a caliper,we had to take off the .125 from the pulley, the exact thickness of the alunimum spacers that comes with the rollmaster.Not sure how old the pulley is ,we bought it used 1 year ago.Just make sure you measure it, or you run the risk of it bottoming out the oil pump.You also need to grind inside the timing cover,it hits in about 4-5 spots.Put it on with out the gasket and you will see how it rocks back and forth.Grind down were it hits.The new timing set sticks out quite a bit further than the stock one.
Thanks for the helpful info!