Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new help finding a knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new help finding a knock

ive got a 2000 ta m6, drove the car to work on tuesday and when i got to work noticed the motor was knocking a little when you gave it gas. everyone says its coming from the top end. pulled the valve covers today and pulled the rockers off and pulled the pushrods out and checked them to see if anyone was bent. didnt have the correct tools to pull springs off going to be doing that tomarrow.

what do you think it could be and what would i need to check besides the springs. is there any parts in the stock that prematurly fail or what.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

check for play in the rockers, roll the engine over 180* and check again.

I had a ls1 the chewed through the rocker and chewed up the valve tip. It knocked some but not as much as you would think.

Was it still running strong?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Launching!

it was still running pretty strong, i mean it might have lost a little power but not much, i noticed it lost a little when i was going down the road in 6th and tried to pass someone and it just didnt go like it use to. but it was still hauling ***.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hokie00 TA
it was still running pretty strong, i mean it might have lost a little power but not much, i noticed it lost a little when i was going down the road in 6th and tried to pass someone and it just didnt go like it use to. but it was still hauling ***.
If its knocking for what ever reason the knock sensor will pick it up and pull timming, that might be why you lost some power.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

piston slap ??????
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

well today we pulled the motor down and didnt find anything, when we pulled the exhaust valves outta the passanger, side head the last exhaust vavle in the back didnt want to come out had to pull on it really hard to get it out and all the rest just slide right out,but where it was tough to pull out was no where near when it goes into the head it was inbetween when the retainer sits and and when it goes into the guide. none of the lifters were messed up none of the pushrods were messed up all the rockers looked fine. then we drained the oil out of the motor and didnt find the first shaving in it.

could something in the transmission or clutch area cause a knocking sounds because there wasnt anything wrong with anything else
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

well today we pulled the motor down and didnt find anything, when we pulled the exhaust valves outta the passanger, side head the last exhaust vavle in the back didnt want to come out had to pull on it really hard to get it out and all the rest just slide right out,but where it was tough to pull out was no where near when it goes into the head it was inbetween when the retainer sits and and when it goes into the guide. none of the lifters were messed up none of the pushrods were messed up all the rockers looked fine. then we drained the oil out of the motor and didnt find the first shaving in it.

could something in the transmission or clutch area cause a knocking sounds because there wasnt anything wrong with anything else
Is that valve bent?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Launching!

dont know if the valve is bent yet going to the local speed/machine shop tomarrow or when ever i can get there this week.
if the valve is bent would that be the knock or would it be something else causeing the knock.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont know if the valve is bent yet going to the local speed/machine shop tomarrow or when ever i can get there this week.
if the valve is bent would that be the knock or would it be something else causeing the knock.
Possible if it hangs open until the piston hits it? Probably not though, you say it only hangs when its not in the usuall operating range? like when the valve is almost out of the head?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Launching!

you got it and there is amake way up on the stem like something gauged it or soemthing like i said i dont think its causeing my knock and you can see on the pistons where anything has come in contact with anything. so this is what has me puzzled