Sponsored by:

Smoking/oil consumption/NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking/oil consumption/NIGHTMARE

Ok, Here's the rundown

Before i start a HUGE project i'd like to gather some input and advice from some of you guys and go about this the proper way.

Follow along with me here cause i'm gonna terantino this one. As it sits the engine backfires and has a horrible knocking noise on passenger side Burns oil and the oil is blacker than the night itself.

Lets go back to where it began, started smoking on startup and deceleration, then it became hard acceleration. (all this time burning a quart between each tank of gas) I ended up breaking a valve spring so i replaced all of them with prc golds. I changed the valve seals as well. This didn't help anything. I fabbed up a makeshift catch can system and drove it for a while , not a drip in the can and still consumed oil.

I launched from a traffic light because this R1 wanted to play. and when i was all done the car ran like crap and started backfiring, and that was when i heard the horrible knocking noise coming from the passenger side. I took it home checked the oil, pulled the valve covers off, removed the rockers and pushrods, all seem ok. I haven't gotten any farther but im assuming a ring may have been letting go and finally gave up. and maybe F-ed up a cylinder.

Before i pull the whole engine out without a lift any advice or direction to look first would be much appreciated, thanks guys
Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the heads and check out a lifter first... better than pulling the whole engine...

unfortunaltely mine was so messed up i had a failed lifter, 3 bent pushrods, and a spun rod bearing...
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Time for a rebuild dude
Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the response so far.

in my old camaro i had a lifter fail, and i replaced it and the cam because it ate away at the cam lobe, all due to a cracked lifter tray.

to be honest i pray thats what it is but at the same time while i'm going through the trouble i want to make this thing stop smoking because its a hell of a car, and turns heads like you wouldn't beleive but when you go to get into the throttle and you smoke screen yourself so they can't see u anymore its kind of embarrassing haha.