Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who should i have build my 408 SB

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who should i have build my 408 SB

I can't really decide on who I want to build my 408 iron short block looking for opinions. I am between going with Weber racing which is local to me, TSP, or HKe. I am only looking for an N/A build and plan to use the L92 heads so the diamond pistons are a must. Anyone have any suggestions I should also add I really don't want to go to far past $4,000 due to budget around $4,200 would be my limit.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

TSP does great work.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

damn i have been looking around for a new 408 engine also.. it's around 4 grands everywhere.
I got a good response from Jon at TSP, maybe is not the best price out there but their customer service is very good, and i don't want to spend ~4K twice so i think tsp is the best option i have found . if you know of a best deal plz let me know im on the same boat
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check up out fellas,we got 408 short block on sale this month,more options are standard with ours than most
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-vehicle-projects-shop-tours/838353-virginia-speed-inc-shop-pics-little-about-us.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/838956-virginia-speed-inc-monthly-specials.html
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd say find a builder with the best reputation and go from there...I wouldn't skimp on it either. Nothing will go in my car that hasn't been blueprinted and verified before delivery.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Erik Koenig
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've got several 408 iron short-blocks in stock, so no long delays waiting for one to be built! Shoot me a PM or phone call and we can discuss your needs and expectations.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 01-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Teching In

I bought a Weber 408, Talk to Leo, He gave me a tour of the shop when I picked it up and he has answered any questions I had and have. Plus you wont have to pay $200-$300 plus for freight
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oneslowbowtie
I bought a Weber 408, Talk to Leo, He gave me a tour of the shop when I picked it up and he has answered any questions I had and have. Plus you wont have to pay $200-$300 plus for freight
Thats true but sales tax on 4000+ is just about the same as freight charge.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Thats true but sales tax on 4000+ is just about the same as freight charge.
Yep, what's you tax rate up there...6.5%??? That's $260 tax on a $4000 short-block! I can ship a shorty for less than that!!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our tax here is about 6% but weber is an hour away so its possible they are at 6.5. also the most expensive..
Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Our tax here is about 6% but weber is an hour away so its possible they are at 6.5. also the most expensive..
We have some awesome sales on our short blocks right now. Here is a link to them: http://weberracing.net/Engine-Type-G..._31/index.html

We have some short blocks that are less than $4000. We have our Stage 1 which is on sale for $3475 even after tax and even a ARP main stud upgrade that puts you around $3890. If you wanted me to ship that to ya, it would be right around $100.
Also the Wiseco pistons are now designed with multi angle valve reliefs so using your L92's will not be a problem.

I hope that helps, feel free to give me a call at 440-327-7702.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

95FbFormula: You have a new PM

Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

PM Sent!

We have over 40 short-blocks on the shelf and ready to head your way today! We know guys like to have something right away when they are spending this kind of money and that is exactly what we try to do. It is VERY rare for us not to have short-blocks on the shelf unless it is a custom build.

If you look at our motors and what they include, I think you will very pleased with what we have to offer. Diamond racing is building pistons exclusively for TSP. All of our exclusive Diamond pistons use a 2618 forging. All of the pistons for our 402 LS2's, 408 irons, 418 L92's, and 427 L92's are built to accept a conventional LS1 or L92 cylinder head. So, there's no need to build a custom piston if you want to run the L92 cylinder heads! Our exclusive pistons have been proven to handle over 1000 RWHP. We have one customer in particular making 1100 RWHP on a mustang dyno with our -15cc pistons in his 408 stroker for over a year now while daily driving the car.

All of our strokers come with an exclusive Total Seal ringset with a Napier second ring. This is to ensure that there will not be any oil control issues with our engines. We do not use inferior ring sets to save a few dollars. We spend the extra money on better components for added durability and longevity.

Combine everything above with a very stringent build process that includes full balancing and blueprinting of every engine, and you get the best short-block on the market. One of the best parts of our short-blocks is that they are proven. We can tell you how much power each of our components will handle because we've tested them! We have tested our components with ProChargers, twin turbos, dual-stage nitrous setups, and high compression N/A setups, and these are just on our shop cars! We have also engine dyno-tested many of our combinations for proven setups. We do not build a short-block and hope for the best. We have tested all of our components to provide our customers with a proven setup.

Again, we keep multiple short-blocks in stock and ready to ship. If you purchase an in-stock short-block, it can ship as soon as the next business day! We have short-blocks in stock and ready to ship in the 347 LS6, 370 iron, 383 LS6, 402 LS2, 408 iron, 418 L92, and 427 LS7 varieties. If we do not have an engine in stock that will suit your needs, we will get one building ASAP.

Let us know if any of you have any questions or concerns.

Jon
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont have a TSP motor, but I wanted to chime in about their customer service. Any questions are welcomed and they are great to talk to on the phone, as with most sponsors, but they really are awesome. I wouldn't blink if I had $4k to spend on a motor w/ TSP!

Good luck w/ the purchase and let us know what you do.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would go with HKE. I would rather pay a little extra now than pay alot extra later.

Believe me, I am doing exactly that now.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I would rather pay a little extra now than pay alot extra later.

Believe me, I am doing exactly that now.
We feel the same way when it comes to picking a respected engine builder. We have the same thing come through our doors all of the time, fixing the "Cheaper" guys stuff. Either because the work is not completed in house, or corners are just cut to keep the cost down, or the builder just does not have the expertise to do precision work. We do not do that. This is why we have been in business for 40 years. We have plenty of local business who do work cheap, does not necessarily mean that is is right.

Every part of our engines is done in house. From machining, to balancing and assembly. This way we can rest assured that no problems make it out of our doors.

Every shortblock here is balanced individually. We do not use generic manufacturer supplied weights and "rough balance" our crankshafts.
For every engine, all internal parts first stop is to the scale where a balance card for every engine that goes together is recorded and kept on file.
From there the crank is balanced and weight is removed as needed (Sometimes needs to be added, depends on the application).

While the assembly is being balanced. The brand new block is making its way over to be machined.

We DO NOT use blem, takeout, or core blocks for our engines that are advertised as new. We do however offer that choice when we do have those types of blocks available. Depending on application.

First we stamp in the work order number into the main caps. Anyone who has received one of our engines may have noticed a number (besides factory numbers) on the main caps. This number is so we can always reference that block, 1 to know that it is ours. 2 is so that we can go back and look at the build sheet if there would ever be an issue with the engine.

We than remove the cam bearings. Even though these are brand new blocks, we take out the factory cam bearings. We do this because after all machining the blocks are jet washed and we want to make sure that there is no chance of loose material making its way anywhere in the block.

The block then goes into the CNC and is CNC Square Decked to a specific height from the crank centerline. Our machine holds the angle to within .003 of a degree. Again even though these are new blocks, we have seen brand new GM Performance parts blocks have the deck off as much as .018!! We make sure the deck has the proper surface finish (15-20 RA) as should be expected on a new engine for proper gasket sealing and to maintain the same compression ratio on every cylinder. The final deck height is then stamped into the deck of every block that comes out of the CNC.

If the block is being taken more than .010 the cylinders are bored to size in the CNC machine. Anything under .010 we hone to size with a torque plate. All cylinder sizing is finished in the hone with the torque plate.

After the engine leaves the cylinder hone, it than makes its way to the align hone. Once again even though these are new blocks, we have found that these production blocks can be flawed. All main caps are removed and hand filed and detailed to ensure proper fit. Detailing the caps removes any burrs left on the main caps from the factory that can interfere with clearances.

After the block is align honed the caps are left off and the block and caps are jet washed. This is not to be confused with hot tanking the block. Hot tanking is an old nasty way of cleaning a block. Our jet washer uses clean fluid through every block to ensure that everything is as clean as possible. The blocks are individually dried and wrapped to await assembly.

Once the block is machined and the rotating assembly is balanced, the block is put on and engine stand and put into our clean engine assembly room. We designed this room for engine assembly ONLY. It is a clean room, closed off from the rest of the shop. It is so clean as a matter of fact, it is right next to our kitchen

In assembly all parts of the engine are laid out onto a clean stainless steel table. The very first thing that is done is we establish our piston to wall clearance to make sure that all machining is acceptable and everything is ready for assembly.

The crankshaft is first to be mated with the newly machined block. First the rod and main journals are measured for diameter. Than the block is checked with the bearings installed with the caps fully torqued. This is checked with a dial bore gauge. This how our clearances are established. The same is done with the rods and the rod journals. Each rod is torqued in a fixture with a bearing inserted to establish the diameter and make sure of proper clearances. Than the crank is laid into the block and the caps are torqued. We than spin the crank to make sure there is no binding and check end thrust.
Assembly of rods and pistons is the next step. After the pistons and rods are assembled the rings are file fit per the application and intended use and installed on the pistons. The ring gap is noted and is given to the customer for every engine we build. It is also kept on file for later reference.

The piston and rods assemblies are then installed into the block and the rods are torqued to spec.

Once the rotating assembly is complete all engine plugs are installed in the engine so the customer does not have to worry about reusing old parts or getting new ones from the dealer.

With all of these proper steps and us being a business that has been founded on building engines and not just selling parts we are way too busy with too much demand to keep any engines on the shelf. If we had time to build a lot of extra engines, we probably would not be in business. Every engine we build is unique in some way. No matter the engine platform or brand, it is near impossible to have a perfect engine AND be the cheapest. We would not want to sacrifice that in anyway to any of our customers to save them a couple bucks and want to make sure they get exactly what they are looking for to suit there needs no matter the application.

Last edited by WeberRacingEquipment; 01-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WeberRacingEquipment
Every part of our engines is done in house. From machining, to balancing and assembly. This way we can rest assured that no problems make it out of our doors.
If everyone here knew how many of the sponsors don't assemble "their" own shortblocks it would surprise them.

I have heard nothing but good things about you guys. I just have my loyalties
Old 01-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
If everyone here knew how many of the sponsors don't assemble "their" own shortblocks it would surprise them.

I have heard nothing but good things about you guys. I just have my loyalties
I can understand and appreciate that. Go with what you know. We are not the only people out there that build good motors. HKE does great work as well. I also had some time to hang out with the LME guys down in Memphis. There are alot of great companies out there. Everyone has a way that works for them. We just stay with what we have been doing as it has worked for 40 years so we must be doing something right
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Erik Koenig at HK Enterprises is most likely the best iron block builder out there. As was mentioned earlier most of the shops selling motors are having them built elsewhere. Talk to the other shops first, then before you order call Erik. I will almost guarantee you will give him the order.It's scary this guy is so knowledgeable.