Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stage II Valve Covers?

Old 07-02-2003, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage II Valve Covers?

I have stage II heads coming and I can't find anywhere to buy some new valve covers, where can you get a set. What else do I need for these heads for a 98'.
Thanks,
Warren
Old 07-02-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: stage II Valve Covers?

Do you need taller covers to clear full roller rockers, or...?? You may be able to find valve cover spacers, but I'm not sure, since all of the spacers I have seen have been for the newer style valve covers.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Scoggin-Dickey Parts will sell you a new set of valvecovers. Or, you can make a post in the parts wanted section, chances are we have tons of members with stuff like that laying around the garage.

If you are looking for aftermarket 1998 valvecovers, none exist. Only 99+

Tony
Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well going internal is all new to me, I am learing as I go, and I'm reading as much as I can to learn more. Ok well maybe I should start over.

I have a 98' Z28 and I going to try out the patriot heads/cam. So can you guys tell me every thing I will need to do this job. Someone told me on another post that with having a 98' you will need to get new valve cover's, is that true and also re-locate my coil packs. And again is there anything else I will need.
TIA
Warren,
Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

If you are buying 98 heads, then you can re-use your current valve covers. If you are buying 99+ heads then you will have to buy some 99+ center bolt valve covers....
Old 07-03-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you're going to aftermarket rockers, the only reason I can think of for you to need new valve covers is if the heads you're upgrading to are the '99+ style.

I'm not sure where the coil pack relocation thing came from... none of the aftermarket valvecovers I know of have provisions for mounting the coils, but again- unless you're going with a set of T&D or Jesel rockers, I can't think of a good reason not to stick with a set of '99+ factory valve covers... even if you ARE going with a set of beefy rockers, you can get away with spacers, which are about half the price of aftermarket valve covers, and don't require coil pack relocation (but they DO necessitate slightly longer spark plug wires).

I've got 1" spacers on my '01, and there are no clearance issues with Jesels and a big cam (G5X2).
Old 07-03-2003, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

You will need the newer style valve covers. Mine came with gaskets already installed in them, but if not then you will need them. You will also need new coil brackets. The coils mount to a bracket which sits on top of the valve cover. Unlike the '98s where they're mounted directly to the valve covers. On the back of the driver's side valve cover there is a hole for a pcv line which is smaller than on the 98's so you will need a new gromet to fit in it. Thats all I can think of for now. If I forgot anything I'm sure someone will let you know.

Search this Thread