Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install Time??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install Time??

How long do you think it would take a professional to install a Cam Kit into a Camaro .. ?

I ask because i work at a dealership, and I can get them to install it for me.

I get 50% off labour, which is $99.95 an hour. So at roughly $50 an hour... how long do you htink it'd take to install a cam and have it running "properly".

I say properly, because i doubt the dealership can "tune" my car, so i just want it drivable so i can go home that day.. lol

Any info is great thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the typical "shop time" for a cam install is 4 - 6 hours, not including the tune. That being said, I imagine it can be done in much less. Given that your shop's labor rate is only $50/hr (your cost), you should be able to get it installed for around $300. Then figure anywhere from $250 - $600 for the tune (depending on how your shop charges....hourly vs. a one-time "lifetime" fee).
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would a GM dealership have the stuff to tune my engine??? I didn't think they would... ?? It'd be awesome if they could... I'm mental when it comes to tuning. For a cam + a few bolt ons and the usual stuff, you dont need a dyno do you? for a good solid tune? U can just use a programmer and reprogram the parameters in the computer right.......

I know a dyno tune would be better, but can't u do the same basic thing with hand helds n such, just to a lesser extent...