Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with TSP shortblocks talk to me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those with TSP shortblocks talk to me.

I'm in need of a forged shortblock and was looking at TSP's 347 to run around 11.1 compression with the mods in sig. Now the reason for my post....... I recently talked to someone who I would regard as HIGHLY knowledgeable about motors and tuning, I mean this guy really know his **** and I would trust him over almost anyone. I was asking him about my possible setup and when I asked what he thought of TSP shortblocks he said ''don't buy their ****, haven't you seen there bottom ends going to hell, just do a search for the posts''. I have been searching all over this site and have only found very few bad reviews for TSP but none were about their shortblocks. I've only seen great reviews for TSP's parts and service . Has anyone had a bad experience with their motors? I would like to hear from guys running a TSP shortblock, preferably which setup,how many miles have been put on it, and how it has held up. Any other info is appreciated as well. Thanks
Prey
Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

TSP 408 shortblock here, with a TSP MS3 cam, assembled by TSP. Happy as a pig in ****.

That dude may know a lot, but that says nothing about his intentions. He's prolly trying to sell you something...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

the tsp shortblocks has the same components as almost all the other vendors on here use.they have sold a crapload of short/longblocks so imo one of their motors is just as good as anyone elses since i'm sure they check all the clearances.
very happy with my tsp 408.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is absolutely absurd. You can't find any problems with our motors because there really aren't any. I would go as far as to say we haven't ever had a problem with a motor that can be directly related to a build or parts failure. Any problems with our short-blocks that I have seen is due to an install or break-in problem. All motors are completely balanced and blue-printed. If a customer ever has any questions on bearing clearances, sidewall clearances, ring gaps, ect. on their specific motor, we have that info. available. Each motor is sent with a sheet with things to look out for during install, recommended oils, break-in procedures, and several other tips and hints.

I'm not sure who your reputable person is, but I would say they are sadly mistaken. If you or he has any questions feel free to give me a call. I would be more than happy to talk with both of you and answer and questions or concerns you may have.

Jon Reynolds

Last edited by Jon@Texas-Speed; 01-14-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP is a good company!! i dont know why anybody would doubt there work!!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

Texas Speed is used for engine replacements by almost every performance shop in town. Hell I saw slips for performance parts orders directly from TSP all over the office desk last month. TSP goes head to head against placed like Scoggins Dickey to provide the highest quality build for the lowest price possible. Trust me the only other place I have even heard mentioned for quality engine builds in Texas is LME/LMR. The guys are the big 4 I would put to the test of value vs. price. TSP will come out on top after the negotiating! You'll see...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We definately work really hard to provide the best short-blocks available! We also try very hard to keep a large quantity of short-blocks in-stock!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed my TSP forged 347 back in June 07' & haven't had one problem with it.. Fired right up on the first try & has been running like a champ ever since.. Their customer service was top notch as well, took the time to answer all of my questions & didn't feel like I was being rushed to get off the phone.. Definitely recommend them!

-Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

TSP 347 here, and extremely happy with it. As mentioned above customer service is top notch. I don't post near as much as I read on here and I can't recall anyone posting problems with a TSP shortblock.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for posting guys and thanks for TSP for posting in my thread also, it show what kind of guys you are. Its really bothering me that he said that and I cant find anything but happy customers with TSP , apparently nobody can really be trusted. I'm thinking it was him pushing his own in house work possibly.
How many miles have some of you put on your setups? I'm just going with a forged 347 and want it to last.

TSP (Jon & Trevor)-Thanks again for posting in my thread. The fact that you guys post so much on here and try to help people out is what made me want to order form you guys in the first place. I'll be giving you a call sometime soon to see what you think would be the best choice for my goals. Thanks
Prey
Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Only complaint I've heard about TSP short blocks is the shipping cost. I've never seen a thread about their shortblocks blowing. I have seen some on the SLP Shortblocks.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

I think its the initial thing. TSP, SLP ??? As mentioned above. SLP has had issues with oil consumption on the ZL402. TSP has proven itself time and time again.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I have heard nothing but good things about TSP. Also have a friend that knows those guys very well (he attended Texas Tech) and he has nothing but good things to say.

There is one "well known" and "reputable" engine builder here that I would NEVER buy a motor from. I bought a motor that was built by them, but not at my request. I bought it ever so slightly used from another board member. He had barely run it, otherwise it would have come apart. Holy **** did they do a amateur job on that one. I had to have Port Pros completely re-machine and rebuild it, but not before they showed me all the corners the other shop had cut and a couple of the no-no's that they had done. Same thing with another good friend. He came across a motor built by this same shop and it was an abortion. I know better than to speak out against them, the other guy did and he ignited a very short lived **** storm before his post and entire thread was deleted. Evidently they do build some of their motors right, because that shop has a lot of fans/defenders on here. Anyway, I don't "hate" them because they hadn't taken my money directly. I just made a mental note to avoid them.

What's the point if I won't name them? The point is be VERY careful and do your homework. A new motor is a lot of coin to most of us here.

Quick Reply: Those with TSP shortblocks talk to me.