Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems -- what is wrong with my car now??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems -- what is wrong with my car now??

I upgraded on recommendation of JD auto's to 42 lb injectors. Seemed a bit like overkill to me, but the dyno and AFs clearly showed the car running out of fuel at 5900rpm, even after being tuned in with LS1 edit (around 14 AF at 7000rpm). Additionally, it seems as if I had a small leak on one of the old injectors.

Anyhow, after the 42s go in, the car really struggles to start, blows huge amounts of black smoke out of the tailpipes (unburnt gas it seems), and trying to drive it around anything over 25% or so throttle angle made the car feel like it hit the fuel cutoff. Anyhow, I park the car, and Bryan Herter at PCMfor less was nice enough to fix my edit program to adjust for the larger injectors. Get the computer back from the mail, and the car was kinda flooded, so we had to disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump to burn some of it off. Anyhow, car finally starts, drive it around the block and it feels like crap -- like all the torque is gone. My friend even commented that he thought his stock LT1 vette could take it.

The car could have been sitting flooded a couple of days, do I have some kinda of damage from that or the gas going through like it did? I did not drive the car miore than a few blocks with the problem. Or do I just need a fuel pump too (still using stock one)?
Old 07-06-2003, 04:05 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: problems -- what is wrong with my car now??

Put the 30's back in it till it can be tunned on the dyno with the 42's.

Joe
Old 07-06-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Joe -- I cant put the 30s back on, one of them is leaking gas, and now the pcm is setup for the 42s. Bryan said that the only thing it should need was the pcm adjusted to recongize 42s, but obviously something is not right...it feels like it is falling on its face
Old 07-06-2003, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pull the plugs and see if you hydroed the electrode to the point of that ther is no gap. I had the same problem on my 98 z. I swiched to 30# ers with the stock program. It was hard to start and very down on power, back fired when trying to start. Got a program for them and pulled out 3 plugs out of the 8 that did not have a gap. HTH

Joe
Old 07-06-2003, 06:54 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hydolocked is what I think too..
I hope u didnt bend a rod.

Get the plugs out of the motor asap and checkem.
DO NOT START OR DRIVE THE CAR....

JS
Old 07-06-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh great now I feel wonderful -- I had to run some errands, and decided I needed to pick my car up from my friend's garage while I was out, and then drove it 30 miles home. Of course I had to get on it a couple of times to see if I was imagining things -- the car did seem a bit better, but still crappy. I hope I didnt screw anything up worse. Im not quite sure what I was thinking, probably denial of some sort
Old 07-11-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I really dont think the car hydrolocked, and neither does my friend who is a mechanic who looked at it. We changed out the plugs (and wires) and they were kinda blackened, but the car still feels like its way down on power.

Here's what Im thinking is possible:
1. AFs are all messed up again -- I cant check easily because my laptop seems to have sh*t the bed, and I should dyno tune it again (yet another 2 + trip each way...this would be like my 4th or 5th trip in the past few months to do this)
2. Car only thinks it is getting enough fuel, new fuel pump needed?
3. Something else actually wrong with the car, kinda like the hydrolock theory above?

Any other thoughts?

Anyone want to buy my car? Its wicked when its running right -- unfortunately that has been for about 5 days over the past 5 months.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I have a weird feeling about this. I cant honestly see how 30 lb'ers are running out of fuel in a 388. I think that seemed odd to begin with.

OK... So heres my other thought... If you flooded the car that bad, alot of fuel probably coated the O2s. Ive done a few things to my car and totally had the thing fall on its face afterwards adn make no power. Both times it came right back up after putting new )2s in (another damn 100$ and some work to get the extensions worked out).

Try and see if someone locally has an Autotap or something. Until then, we are really guessing.

Good luck... My car has had about 1 month of working in the last 3 years. Hopefully staying away from (vendor "a") and a new 388 will help me too.

Chris
Old 07-11-2003, 04:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a shot in the dark guess, sometimes its the little things.

Check or change your fuel filter. It might be clogged considering your car is a 2000 so its probably due a change. I know this is a must do on my to-do list.

Brien
Old 07-11-2003, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I think that 30lb svo's might be small for a 450rwhp setup.

Might need to change the plugs they might be fouled. 02's might be hella sluggish too.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

I have 30 lb SVO's on my setup that made 511rwhp, Nineball's 434 also had these too, I oubt it was/is your injectors. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Would it be worth checking to see if the fuel pressure is where it should be?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:42 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be u washed the rings out too.
If its idling and u have changed the plugs then its not hydrolocked which is a good thing.

I think the car should be tuned by Mikey with the 30's back in the car and nice new fresh o2's and filter.

Good luck...
JS