Current mods
02 Z28
Yank SS4000 Stall
Full Exhaust - LT's ORY, Hooker cat-back
3.73 gear
SLP Lid
M/T drag radials
100K miles

My car is a nice day cruiser that I take to the drag strip maybe once a month in the summer.

I want a very mild cam with little to no lope with a tune. Something easy to tune as well and does not require to give it gas upon start-up to keep it running. I would like a cam that is going to complement my high stall and free-flowing exhaust. Here are a few cams I was looking at:

TR CheaTR
MTI Stealth II
LPE GT-11

Although I was thinking about them, the CheaTR and LPE cams are a little higher in the lift area than I want to be.

To be honest, I want to try something different and go with a reverse split cam, but I do not know too much about them and not sure if it would benefit my needs.

All in all, I would like to be in the 375-400 RWHP range with a nice flat torque curve that will rev up to about 6500 RPM's and have good street manners/driveability. I would prefer a little lope at idle, but if a Sleeper cam is my best option, then I will appreciate the recomendation. That is why I made this post.

Oh, the car made 299RWHP/307RWTQ before the exhaust and converter.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was doing a search and I came accross the TR230 cam. This is what they call a reverse split cam, right? The lift isn't really too agressive, and it seems to work well with stock heads.

What do you guys think about this cam meeting my needs over others?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't rule out the 228R camshaft. When put on a 114 lobe seperation I've seen that thing do very well with a even a stock converter! Just swapping from a 224R to a 228R was good for 7rwhp so I'd try to get a little bit of extra duration in that thing. I really think you'd like the way the 228R drives & the power it would make.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=167&catid=44
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Don't rule out the 228R camshaft. When put on a 114 lobe seperation I've seen that thing do very well with a even a stock converter! Just swapping from a 224R to a 228R was good for 7rwhp so I'd try to get a little bit of extra duration in that thing. I really think you'd like the way the 228R drives & the power it would make.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=167&catid=44

Thank you for your input. Can you tell me the advantage or benefit of the 228R compared to the TR230. The only reason I ask is I think you may be biased due to the circumstances. Would there be greater drivability, torque curve, ect? Also, I have a Yank 4000 stall converter. From the results, it looks like people have all been within the 380-400 RWHP and good Torque curve with decent drivability and somewhat easy tuning with my set-up using the TR230.

The TR230 looks to be the cam that best fits my need at this time. Does anyone else agree or disagree with this decision?