Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Problem - Could it Be Accumsump Installation Related - Experts Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problem - Could it Be Accumsump Installation Related - Experts Please

Oil/Hydraulic Experts,

I'm not new to engines or racing but this issue puzzles me and I'm now wondering if a complete rebuild was necessary!

I recently had a new race engine purpose built for my road racing interests. It was broken in properly and did not show any signs of pressure issues at idle or start up, After properly getting it up the oil up to operating temps I had started to consistently see low oil pressure under full throttle, while driving down the long straights portion of my local track. I've never never seen anything happen like this before. When i say problems i'm talking like max 35 PSI on a new motor that was previously idling at 55PSI. Motor is an LSx stroker but nothing exotic.

Since then the motor has been completely rebuilt with all new components and i'm ready to run it again. As i'm going over everything i just noticed that the builder never installed a check valve in the T-fitting for the accusump. Could the accusump be causing these issues without a one-way flow control to keep it from pushing against the pump?

I'm not debating that i need one and will soon be installing it but i'm now wondering if this was the source of the pressure issues.

Experts I'd love to hear from you!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you/they hook up a manual gague befor just deciding that the oil pressuer was in reality low? What kind of oil pressuer gague and sending unit do you have? I've seen in some cases where junk gets in places and gives you bad readings.
and I dont know that the check valve would cause low pressuer because if its just a one way check valve its just making shure that the oil is going one way so if the pump is working properly then you shouldent have any back flow thats just my thoughts on it I could be wrong but if thier is supposed to be a check valve their its also their for a reason.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Just by the accusump works it couldnt cause the low preasure. It only gets its "charge" from the oil preasure its self. So i would not think that it was the problem.