Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Final list, PRC, TQRIII....

Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My Final list, PRC, TQRIII....

alright, i have been researching for a cam swap for almost a year now and i almost had it figured out, but then about 4 months ago, i broke off a valve cover bolt in the head on #7 and decided to make that an excuse for new heads too.

i just spoke with Jon @ TSP for awhile and he really helped me out. final step is just to put my proposed list out there and see what you guys have to say.

im already a bolt on car w/ LT's, ls6 intake, pp tb, lid, catback and dual cutouts. i daily drive this car and its got around 105,000 on it now. and ive already got an ss3500 in my garage waiting to go in at the same time as this stuff. lets see waht you guys think

-PRC 2.5 5.3 heads no milling
-TQR vIII
-7.4" pushrods
-melling 295
-ls2 timing chain
-ASP underdrive pulley/overdrive alt pulley cause i got king kong in the trunk
-perma cool 22000 gvw transcooler
-GM gasket/bolt set from TSP
-LS7 lifters
-dyno tune, shop undecided

some of the stuff ive already got, but the rest of the order will be placed within the nest week. im not really concerend about peak hp b/c with that stall a dyno's not going to be a good representaion of how fast the car is. more concerened with torque and power throuhgout the curve.

any suggestions comments, whatever yall have got will be greatly appreciated

~Grey
Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive never been a fan of that cam (no disprespect to TSP cause i get all my **** there)cause if ur gonna push the limits of ur springs u might as well go big.....As for the tranny coolers, i needed 2.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

what gear do you have or are going to use?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

right now im at 2.73s still stock. i was gonna really look into that nest and see where i was at once i got some of this stuff in. ive never driven a stalled auto, so i didnt want to get into gears not knowing what it was going ot feel like coming out of the shop...

kind of a baby steps psychology....

that and suspension stuff was my next project though....

and GTG,

why exactly do you not like this cam? i really didnt want to go too big and everyone else that ive seen has really liked that particular grind. the fact that its on 111lsa was icing on the cake too. me and jon talked about that for a good while and he really sold me on it, but your the first guy thats mentioned anything negative about it, and like i said, im just kinda taking everything in right now, thanks guys
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

IMO if you're going to stay with a medium stall and small/medium gear, then have the heads milled to 58/59cc and run as thin of a gasket as possible then run whatever size cam you can with out flycutting. Its going to end up being way easier to tune and that extra compression is going to give you a good amount of torque and power under the curve you want
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
right now im at 2.73s still stock. i was gonna really look into that nest and see where i was at once i got some of this stuff in. ive never driven a stalled auto, so i didnt want to get into gears not knowing what it was going ot feel like coming out of the shop...

kind of a baby steps psychology....

that and suspension stuff was my next project though....

and GTG,

why exactly do you not like this cam? i really didnt want to go too big and everyone else that ive seen has really liked that particular grind. the fact that its on 111lsa was icing on the cake too. me and jon talked about that for a good while and he really sold me on it, but your the first guy thats mentioned anything negative about it, and like i said, im just kinda taking everything in right now, thanks guys

Ur gonna need gears for sure.....as for the cam, ur pushing the limits of ur springs with that 644 lift or what ever it is...if im gonna be at the edge u better beleive im gonna get all i can out of pushing my stuff to the limit...its like not flooring ur car when u race.....The MS4 is 649 lift and will give u more power period.....im not saying go MS4 and thats that, im saying if ur gonna push the limit of the spring then make it worth it........THATS JUST MY OPINION SO NO ONE FLAME ME PLEASE.....lol
Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

im definatley not gonna flame you bud, i just appreciate the advice.

the reason im not going any bigger right now is because i am much more worried about streetability than anyhting else. the rest of my list was tqrII, X1, Z1, and TR230, so i am definatley not looking for a truly "big" cam by any means. I really like what i ve seen and heard about this cam and i did double check with TSP and they did make sure to tell me those valve springs were fine with that cam. b/c i was a little worrid too.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

patrick G ran that cam for a while... Tr Trak is the same cam... He had amazing results btw. GO for it and have fun.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know if that will be enough converter for that cam. Its pretty big and I think the power band will be more peaky than you think.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Ur gonna need gears for sure.....as for the cam, ur pushing the limits of ur springs with that 644 lift or what ever it is...if im gonna be at the edge u better beleive im gonna get all i can out of pushing my stuff to the limit...its like not flooring ur car when u race.....The MS4 is 649 lift and will give u more power period.....im not saying go MS4 and thats that, im saying if ur gonna push the limit of the spring then make it worth it........THATS JUST MY OPINION SO NO ONE FLAME ME PLEASE.....lol

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Wit the clearance issues your going to have with milled heads & bigger valves I'd look to something like the torquer 3. We've seen it engine dyno within 7hp of the MS4 with much better p/v. What does the car make currently? You should see about 18-22hp more from swapping out the 224 camshaft...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with a smaller cam 224/230 with a 110 or 112 lsa and mill the heads down to 54 cc and get some good compression which will produce some good torque numbers..you will make lots of power under the curve which is where you need it with a street car...the cam you listed makes a lot HP up at high rpms (I know I ran that cam for 45,000 miles) but you will need some gears to go with that cam and converter...anyway good luck with you mods what ever you decide to do..
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blksheep
lol...i know i know...but not typical results.....i can also show u a video of my buddys MS4 tuned at TSP race another buddy with the T3 tuned at TSP....and the MS4 made the T3 its bitch...with slightly a few more mods done to the torquer 3 car....Im not dissing TSP cams...im a TSP ***** i love all of their stuff, i just dont see why not go all out if ur gonna put the same amount of stress on the springs....again JUST MY OPINION!!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

horse power is for show TORQUE is what hauls your azzz
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT Griller
lol...i know i know...but not typical results.....i can also show u a video of my buddys MS4 tuned at TSP race another buddy with the T3 tuned at TSP....and the MS4 made the T3 its bitch...with slightly a few more mods done to the torquer 3 car....Im not dissing TSP cams...im a TSP ***** i love all of their stuff, i just dont see why not go all out if ur gonna put the same amount of stress on the springs....again JUST MY OPINION!!
yea lol...i have seen them both at cam only tuned at the same place run neck and neck...it was whoever shifted the slowest loosing....

and if he mills the heads down to 54cc... thats gonna be higher then i would run on pump... my 59cc's on stock short block is somewhere around 11.4:1....

but i could be wrong
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCFormula
I don't know if that will be enough converter for that cam. Its pretty big and I think the power band will be more peaky than you think.
i thought about that too. only thing is i got that TC used for a GREAT price. i really dont want to put ALOT of money into the 4l60e because i still am thining about swapping to an M6 whenever funds permit. i was looking for anywhere between 3500-4000 and this one came up for around $190. (GotSpeed's still the man) so im gonna weigh my options and see how i like the stall and if i like it more than a t56, ill probably upgrade to an SS4000 and a new trans later on, but once again, new to stalls so just wanna see where im gonna stand.

and im gonna call TSP back monday and ask a few more questions about my milling options, ive searched a good bit on that, but its so situational i wanna make sure i wont have to flycut. I really want ot leave the option for spray later on

thanks for all the info guys, this is why i <3 tech. hahaha
Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blksheep
yea lol...i have seen them both at cam only tuned at the same place run neck and neck...it was whoever shifted the slowest loosing....

and if he mills the heads down to 54cc... thats gonna be higher then i would run on pump... my 59cc's on stock short block is somewhere around 11.4:1....

but i could be wrong
I have ben running a set of 5.3 heads milled down to 54cc chambers for over 20,000 miles as a daily driver with no problems at all.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

I love the TV3 I have run a ms4 auto and beat him. I have runa H/C termi heads and MS3 and we were dead even. It's all in the combo, my combo could be better I'd like to get 3.90s. I don't see any thing wrong with the TV3 It has done me well. Good luck with your car TSP will not do you wrong.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

i just got my torquer v3 in the mail the other day. im saving up the money for my 243 to be reworked. i was trying to choose between the ms4 or t3 and for daily driver i went with the t3. not to jack the thread but whats the highest numbers a t3 has put down anyone know?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i saw this and its just about the same setup, granted hes on an M6, but still failry good for the amount of money put into "budget" heads. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rquer+v.3+dyno

sweeTbone has the best numbers ive seen with this package @ 445rwhp, 392lbfts
Old 01-27-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

here's my old dyno thread...with a fast 90/90, a EWP, and a under drive. I believe i would be over 450...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...927&highlight=

Search this Thread