Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of porting used LS6 heads versus buying new

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of porting used LS6 heads versus buying new

I am looking to replace my stock (241) heads with some ported LS6 heads. I am having trouble deciding between buying some used LS6 heads (with hollow/sodium valves) and having those ported or just buying a new ported set from a vendor (such as patriot, etc).

I should add that I have an LG G5X3 cam kit with the springs, retainers, seats, push rods, etc.

I was thinking that I could reuse these components from the kit and the rest of the components from my stock heads (241) in the used LS6 heads or buy the new ported heads bare.

Can I use my existing valves in the new bare ported head (I only have 12,000 miles on the heads)?

Is the benefit of the hollow/sodium valves that big to justify the hassel and expense of going the used route and having the heads ported?

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

2GOFAST
Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a bargain on a good pair of LS6 heads, you might consider using them unported. They are very good heads and the lightweight valves are helpful if you plan to spin above 6500 rpm.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually when you port heads you put bigger valves in them anyway so you might as well just buy a set from a sponsor.