Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No side clearance on compstar crank and rods?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No side clearance on compstar crank and rods?

I have a callies compstar 4.00" crank and compstar rod kit but have found numbers 3 and 4 have no side clearance, the rods wont even fit on the journal together. I have made sure the chamfered edges face towards the crank and away from each other.
Is my only option to send the lot to the machinist and have them milled till they fit nicely?
Number 1 and 2 are fine motor turned perfect and smooth.
The rods are not numbered or anything from Callies, so I assume they arent on the wrong journal.
If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Measure the rod widths and the width of the crank journal and compare with one of the rod throws your not having an issue with. I assume you are using the proper bearings with the chamfered edge?

If you see some machining variance simply contact Callies....Im sure they will make it right for you. Ask for Brooke Piper....he will get you straightened out Im sure but do some homework because he will be asking exactly what I told you to look into before he has you send anything back. Try to find where the problem lies first if possible.

Good luck....keep us posted.

Tony
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also make sure you do not have the rod caps reversed on the rod...most rod bolts are offset a little from center and if you flip one of them you would in essence make the big end wider. I would think that the rods and crank in the kit would be matched and If there is that major of a problem have the manufacturer replace them.

Search this Thread