Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me with some problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help me with some problems

a buddy of mine has a 2002 SS cammed A4 but we dont know what cam is in the car, about a week ago he started the car and it sounded like a sowing machine, when you rev it up the knocking/slapping/ticking gets faster just like revving the motor.He pulled the front cover off the motor today and there was a white film covering everything, so that means that the anti freeze has mixed with the oil. please give me some places to start looking.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Pull the dipstick and see if the oil is frothy in the crankcase. But if it is, it's probably from a bad head gasket.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Launching!

but whats the knocking
Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knocking is probably bearings. Is it coming from the bottom end. If so that is my guess. Coolant in the oil will kill them if run too long. Has it run hot?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hokie00 TA
but whats the knocking
Don't you love it when someone asks for help, you tell them what to do...and instead of doing it they just keep posting more questions?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crainholio
Don't you love it when someone asks for help, you tell them what to do...and instead of doing it they just keep posting more questions?

Give the guy a break.....it might not be a head gasket. The guy has every right to ask questions....that's what this forum is for, right?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Give the guy a break.....it might not be a head gasket. The guy has every right to ask questions....that's what this forum is for, right?
When a guy isn't following the advice he's given, what's the point?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crainholio
When a guy isn't following the advice he's given, what's the point?
Listen hear BUD im trying to eliminate everything else before we just go off ripping the motor apart. We pulled the dip stick and there wasnt any milky oil on the dipstick, so the next step im going to do is drain the oil out of it and see what that looks like.

If you dont have anything good to say or anything to help me out dont post i dont need someone giving me crap when i dont know you at all.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Now you're making progress. Not so hard to get under the hood instead of posting here, was it? Cool the attitude...someone asks what to do, and then posts another question instead of following up, it's a bad indicator.

The white film on the inside of the front cover was indication enough that there's coolant in the oil. Lack of frothy substance on the dipstick isn't an indicator given that the engine's been sitting a while...that test only works conclusively on a recently running engine where the oil and water are mixed up.

If it's got an audible knock there's not much point in further diagnosis with the engine in the car, time to yank it. Fixing the coolant leak doesn't fix the knock.

The heads are probably salvageable, but the shortblock is in for either a rebuild or a replacement. As old as these engines are getting, I'd steer clear of a used one regardless of the claimed mileage.