Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly going different route with motor, need advice (Kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Possibly going different route with motor, need advice (Kinda long)

Okay, I've been posting on here for quite a while now about my H/C setup. I began flycutting and was needing to go in the neighborhood of .100+ on the cuts. Well ultimately I am wanting the car to run very, very low 10's or high 9's in the quarter and I'm pretty sure for me to get there the car is going to have to be sprayed 150+ shot of nitrous. Probably 200ish. I've read alot of posts about people having problems and it not being safe to spray that much on a piston that has been cut as deep as .100". To be honest, 150 shot is probably pushing it on the stock bottom end as well.

Now, I know that the stock crank is actually good to a pretty good number. 700RWHP I believe I remember seeing, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I will need new pistons and rods. Also the rods will need to be recessed to be able to fit an MS4 and PRC 5.3 2.5's milled to 59cc. I'm not really sure what rods and pistons to even begin looking at though. I would need some help trying to determine what pistons and rods to go with.

I have the motor completely out of the car right now and I don't really want to have to pull it again in the near future to just do rods and pistons. I think I would rather just do it now but I want to know what you guys think.

Would it be better to just go forged pistons and rods now if so which ones? Or should I just cut the pistons and the stock bottom end will probably be okay with around 150 shot?

I need some insight, thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way in the world I would spray a 150-200 shot on stock pistons.....definitely go for aftermarket rods and pistons. I haven't heard about rods needing to be recessed...do you mean clearance the block?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'll be calling TSP tomorrow and telling them what I'm wanting and see what they have to say.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good idea, Id have a hard time chancing something like that from a board where any bonehead can reply
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA1364
good idea, Id have a hard time chancing something like that from a board where any bonehead can reply
I've been hearing that alot lately...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TA1364
Yes, while everyone on the internet does have an opinion, and are not necessarily correct, if you search you will see that many people have had problems with stock pistons at higher power levels. That's the benefit of an online message board - you can see results from many people and learn from their success and mistakes.

Contacting a sponsor for specific advice is definitely a good idea though.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that power level, although your stock shortblock MAY last, I would surely put forged pistons, aftermarket rods, ARP2000 rod bolts, and some nice head studs on it. Like you said you are mostly there and the additional money spent on beefing up the bottom end will be worth it for the peace of mind you will have.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
At that power level, although your stock shortblock MAY last, I would surely put forged pistons, aftermarket rods, ARP2000 rod bolts, and some nice head studs on it. Like you said you are mostly there and the additional money spent on beefing up the bottom end will be worth it for the peace of mind you will have.
Agreed!!!!