Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

degree a torquer v2 cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default degree a torquer v2 cam

is it a good idea to degree this cam or just put it in straight up a buddy told me it makes a big difference if you degree it. its the .595 .598 232 234 cam.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

I put mine in dot to dot. Its the V.3 but I'm interested to see what poeple say.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

ya someone told me it made a huge difference
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know enough to form an opinion myself. But here's a thread I found that kinda talks about it. I'm looking at the Torquer 2 myself. I'm waiting to see his results.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=2+torquer
Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Degreeing is done to make sure the cam is installed as intended cam designer/grinder. It is always a good idea to check because cams are sometimes not ground as specified. So if you want the most out of your Valve Events make sure you degree it.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eagle Machine
Degreeing is done to make sure the cam is installed as intended cam designer/grinder. It is always a good idea to check because cams are sometimes not ground as specified. So if you want the most out of your Valve Events make sure you degree it.
Not to be rude, but I think he's asking if he should advance/retard the timing to make the cam act "better." I would hope he degrees it regardless the timing.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

I have texas speeds 233/239, and its supposed to make max power at about 6300, so i put it in dot to dot. I have my dyno sheet hanging infront of me, and its max power is 6,600, meaning i have to shift at 68 or 69 and have my limiter at 69 or 70. I dont remember the torquer v2 powerband specs, but mine ran above what it was supposed to, i probably should have degreed it +2 but i didnt know at the time
Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
Not to be rude, but I think he's asking if he should advance/retard the timing to make the cam act "better." I would hope he degrees it regardless the timing.
He wouldn't know that until he degrees it to fine out if it is ground true then he could decide if he wanted to advance it or retard it. It may be off in such that he has to retard it 2 degrees on the timing set to get it to install "straight up" according to the specs.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol, I feel retarded... I need to go read more on cams before I throw in my 2 cents. I didn't know the dots would be off if the advance/retard was ground into it.

Disregard my second post in this thread, lol.

On topic: I'd like to know how advancing it a few degrees would change the power under the curve. And how much you can advance it till it starts hurting performance.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

i bought a t2 on a 110lsa 107 icl when i install it dot to dot it will have 3* advance ground in.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
Lol, I feel retarded... I need to go read more on cams before I throw in my 2 cents. I didn't know the dots would be off if the advance/retard was ground into it.

Disregard my second post in this thread, lol.

On topic: I'd like to know how advancing it a few degrees would change the power under the curve. And how much you can advance it till it starts hurting performance.
I am not saying the dots would be off if the advance/retard was ground in. What I was getting at was that the cams are not always ground perfect and that you need to degree the cam to make sure that the way you install the cam takes full advantage of the valve events that the cam was designed for.

Ex. If you install your 112+2 cam dot to dot if the cam is ground correct you would be installed with a 110 ICL. Which is what the cam is designed for. The degreeeing process simply verifies that it is in fact installed on the 110 ICL that it was designed for and that the cam was ground correctly. If you degreed the cam and it came out to be that the ICL wsas 108 then you would have to adjust your timing set 2 degrees to attain you cam's designed ICL.

How much you can advance it before hurting top end power too much depends on your cam and your set-up. They all vary.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eagle Machine
I am not saying the dots would be off if the advance/retard was ground in. What I was getting at was that the cams are not always ground perfect and that you need to degree the cam to make sure that the way you install the cam takes full advantage of the valve events that the cam was designed for.

Ex. If you install your 112+2 cam dot to dot if the cam is ground correct you would be installed with a 110 ICL. Which is what the cam is designed for. The degreeeing process simply verifies that it is in fact installed on the 110 ICL that it was designed for and that the cam was ground correctly. If you degreed the cam and it came out to be that the ICL was 108 then you would have to adjust your timing set 2 degrees to attain you cam's designed ICL.

How much you can advance it before hurting top end power too much depends on your cam and your set-up. They all vary.
Haha, wow... I didn't realize how bad my knowledge of degreeing a cam was. I just read the how to in the sticky, and I understand it a lot better. Thanks for the time and patience to help me out. Sorry for the hijack, OP.

My new advice is to degree it for sure. Why not take the time to verify the cam is going to act how you want it to act.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a good idea to degree when installing the bigger cams where having off even a bit could cause bad or nonexistant ptv clearances.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed my torquer without degreeing it. Its got 2 degrees advance ground in. It really really spins high, peaking after 6600, so i wonder if its actually ground with less than the 2* advance the cam card states. Great cam though, but it loves to spin high.

Quick Reply: degree a torquer v2 cam