Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone w/ a rollmaster double give me some help

Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can someone w/ a rollmaster double give me some help

I'm useing the rollmaster double chaine from SDPC and when I put it on the cam (TR227/224) there is like an 1/8"(+/-) from the face of the cam to the back of the cam gear. Below is a link w/ a picture from a previous post that you can see the threads from the cam bolts. i called SDPC and they told me the gear should fit right up to the face of the cam. Well if it should fit rigth to the back of the gear you shouldnt be able to see the threads to the bolts. i e-mailed the guy w/ the pic and he said his been working fine so far. So jnow i'm getting conflicting stories. I measured the part of the cam where the gear should fit and it was 1.565" and the area it should go into is 1.563, well right there its to small. so i am stuck i dont want to put it together if the gear should fit tight. Also called Thunder and the guy said he never has done a rollmaster so he couldnt help out. Sorry this is long but i hope someone can shed somelight on this for me.

Link to Picture on other thread

JR
Old 07-11-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can someone w/ a rollmaster double give me some help

I don't see any threads on the cam bolts showing in that pic. The double roller in that pic appears to be correctly installed.

Is the cam dowel fitting in the dowel hole on the gear all the way? When I helped a freind install his cam and double roller, the cam dowel was slightly larger than the hole, keeping it from seating flush w/ the cam. We drilled out the hole just enough for the dowel to fit.

Check out this thread.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

look at the bolt thats at about 5 o'clock and follow it into the block. you can see the threads showing. I also read that thread before. the dowel is not the problem. if I flip over the gear and place it on top it goes on no problem. all the way but when you try it on the side its ment to be it doesnt go it just stops. I'm gonna just try it on my friends stock cam and if it doesnt work i'm just gonna say the hell w/ the double roller.

JR
Old 07-11-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

I would be willing to bet you are hung up on the 1/4" locating pin. Mine was the same way. I had to run a 1/4" drill through the hole for it to shoulder up. The hole in the gear was .004 thousandths smaller than the pin.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

look at the bolt thats at about 5 o'clock and follow it into the block. you can see the threads showing. I also read that thread before. the dowel is not the problem. if I flip over the gear and place it on top it goes on no problem. all the way but when you try it on the side its ment to be it doesnt go it just stops. I'm gonna just try it on my friends stock cam and if it doesnt work i'm just gonna say the hell w/ the double roller.

JR
Take a closer look at that pic. That bolt looks to me like it is in there flush. That doesn't look like threads. Other than the dowel, I don't see or know what could possibly be binding up. Will the bolt not thread all the way? Is it stripped?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

MOBE: forwarded you a larger pic from the other one. check your mail

I'm gonna go get a # drill bit tonight and try that then just go from there

JR
Old 07-11-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I see what you mean now. That larger pic is much more clear, and you are correct. That isn't right.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I had to use my old gear to push (beat with rubber mallet) on the new one. There is a key slot for it also. When the bottom gear is installed correctly the key will be just shy of linning up with the outside of the gear. Here's a Pic.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

DaleMX: i got that part but i'm talking about the cam gear.

I took the cam and gear to a friend and had him look at it and he mic'd it also and found the part of the cam that should fit inside the cam gear to be .006" bigger than the part on the gear. it just wont fit. I'm gonna try to call rollmaster next week and see what they have to say and maybe the part of the cam is to big so i'll try and get some measurements from thunder.

JR
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Oops, well it was a good picture anyway and I didn't want to waste it (been doing this alot lately).

I didn't mic mine, but it fit just fine. Cam was a TR230. I have read a few posts from folks that had to ream the hole out a bit. If your worried about doing it yourself, take the gear up to a machine shop and have it reamed, or get a reamer from Grainger or McMaster and do it yourself. A reamer will not change the position of the hole, where a drill will follow a side of the hole and wont center exactly.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Launching!

JR, Which Rollmaster double row set did you get? I have the hardened one with the Torrington thrust bearing on the back of the cam gear. I will be installing it this weekend and I will be sure to put it on the cam for a test fit before everything goes in.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. Mine went up flush when I installed it. I had to use the old crank gear to put on the new crank gear also. no problems here. Just a question and no offense, but do you have the gear on the right way?
Old 07-13-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

I measured my friends stock 1998 cam and the part that should go into the cam gear was 1.565" just like the TR cam i have so i'm not worried its the cam. I put the gear on my friends cam and it didnt fit on it eaither, it had the same gap between the two faces. so i'm thinking it has to be the Gear itself. i'll have to call rollmaster. Yes I do have the Rollmaster one w/ the torrington bearing. and yes i'm sure i am putting it on the right way. only goes together one way.

Here is what it says on the box word for word:

P/N CS1160
CHEV S/B LS1 GEN 3 WITH T/TON
D/ROW TIMING SET NITRIDED
BOTH SPROCKETS CHAIN 3DR60-2

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...&pid=90940

JR
Old 07-13-2003, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's how it looked on mine. Torrington towards the block.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Launching!

JR, that is the exact same set I have. I will testfit mine on my G5X2 this afternoon and see if it fits. If you need to make the locator hole larger, I would definitely suggest using a reamer instead of a drill bit. It will keep the true position of the hole in tact. Any machine shop will do it for next to nothing. These things are supposed to be an industry standard. I am in the Quality Control industry and this should never happen. If part "A" and part "B" are manufactured within the proper tolerances, they should fit fine. I would still contact Rollmaster or SDPC to see what they have to say.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

If you need to make the locator hole larger, I would definitely suggest using a reamer instead of a drill bit. It will keep the true position of the hole in tact.
the dowel pin isnt the problem. its smaller than the hole in the cam gear. we mic'd it so we know thats not the problem. the part where the cam should fit is like .005 to small. so i'll just give rollmaster a call and see whats up.

JR
Old 07-13-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Funny, my rollmaster isn't polished like yours is. Nitrided parts have a matte finish to them.
P/N CS1160 Chev S/B LS1 Gen3 with T/Ton
D/Row Timing set Nitrided
Both Sprockets Chain 3DR60-2

Maybe they put the wrong one in the box. Get Scoggins to send you another, but make them open the package and make sure the part is right.

Dale
Old 07-13-2003, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

the pictures are not mine. they are from someone else. Mine is also a matte finish.

JR
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

I tested my cam and SDPC double roller for fit before i installed them...

...the pin did NOT fit in the big sprocket which is a common problem with these timing units....

Are you sure your pin is not binding on the sprocket?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

the dowel pin isnt the problem. its smaller than the hole in the cam gear. we mic'd it so we know thats not the problem.
From my post above. that was my original problem but i took a very little bit off the pin and now thats fine and not the problem. also like i said if i flip the gear over and place the cam pin in the whole it fits fine so it has to be the back part of the cam gear thats not letting the cam face set into the cam gear. I'm sending Rollmaster some pictures i'm gonna take that the engineer of the set wants to see.

JR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can someone w/ a rollmaster double give me some help