Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cam for stock heads, intake? TR230?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best cam for stock heads, intake? TR230?

I can't do it all at once so i'm just doing a cam and headers right now. I will be getting tuning if I go with a bigger cam. I will also be doing stage 2 heads and an LS6 intake this time next year. I wanted to go with the TR230 because it's tried and true. Will this cam be good for a year with no heads/intake? I put down 331/338 now with lid and filter, will I put down 380/370 after the cam and headers? I'm doing QTP 1 3/4 heads with the dual cutout y-pipe. I will probably end up getting tuning right now as well since thunder does free upgrades for a year anyway. I will get the heads/intake/ported TB etc... before the year is up. Is this cam a good choice or is there a better choice. What do you guys think and why?
Also, the cam kit comes with SINGLE 918 springs. Are those enough for this cam? It used to be considered big but the lift is pretty small, .569/.561. Would double REV springs be better? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Best cam for stock heads, intake? TR230?

G5X-2 is the only way to go.
The numbers don't lie.(ain't no texas winter #'s)
Old 07-11-2003, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I can't do it all at once so i'm just doing a cam and headers right now. I will be getting tuning if I go with a bigger cam. I will also be doing stage 2 heads and an LS6 intake this time next year.
If your doing the work yourself that should work out fine. If your paying someone to do the install(s) for you, it is less expensive to get it all installed at once in most cases.

I wanted to go with the TR230 because it's tried and true. Will this cam be good for a year with no heads/intake?
It's a proven cam, might want to ask around about P to V clearance. Find out how much your future heads can be milled and still not have P to V clearance issues. I don't know much about 230 sized cams as this is on the big side for me. If you have your heads and cam etc all at once it's possible to check all this at one time on a test block.

I put down 331/338 now with lid and filter, will I put down 380/370 after the cam and headers? I'm doing QTP 1 3/4 heads with the dual cutout y-pipe. I will probably end up getting tuning right now as well since thunder does free upgrades for a year anyway.
Seems with in reason for an A4 car. Some people have got ~380rwhp with 224 sized cams and headers.

I will get the heads/intake/ported TB etc... before the year is up. Is this cam a good choice or is there a better choice. What do you guys think and why?
Sounds like a decent choice to me. However, if your getting all this stuff this year, I might be easier to do the install at once and cheaper if your paying someone to do it for you.

Also, the cam kit comes with SINGLE 918 springs. Are those enough for this cam? It used to be considered big but the lift is pretty small, .569/.561. Would double REV springs be better? Thanks.
Personally, I like dual springs better as they usually hold up better. Rev's are worth considering, however the Comp 987's are excellent springs but your heads would have to be machined to accept them which wouldn't be a problem for your ported heads. Many have ran 918's without problem with even more lift.

Who's heads are you thinking about getting? I would tend to pick out heads first then match the cam to what's know to work best with the heads you've selected.

Just my .02

Old 07-12-2003, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got the tr230. just got done getting it tuned. check out the numbers in the sig

Quick Reply: Best cam for stock heads, intake? TR230?