Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timming Chain (Rollmaster) and Underdrive pulley ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:11 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Timming Chain (Rollmaster) and Underdrive pulley ?

I am about to install a few cams in a few days when I get off of nights and I am wanting to know how many people have had problems with the pulley Linning up with the rest of the pullies. Any belts wearing out prematurly or being thrown off? What I am talking about is the 3MM spacer for your oil pump when installing a Rollmaster doubleroller timming chain, and then you install your underdrive pulley and it stick out to far. I saw a post on this from one guy but I want a general concensus does one person out of ten have this prolbem or is it the installer ETC... I saw where another person paid to have his pulley machined down the 3MM before hand to be sure and that is why I need to know.Thank in advance for any input!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:34 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Timming Chain (Rollmaster) and Underdrive pulley ?

The oil pump spacers do not affect the location of the pulley. What does sometimes interfere on a few cars is the oil pump will rub the pulley sealing surface. The small inner step of the pulley hub rides against the lower timing chain gear, if it rubs the oil pump there, the stepped area would have to be extended.

The only one I had problems with was on a C5 with the ASP pulley and Rollmaster. We milled the pulley sealing surface ~3mm deeper to clear the oil pump and it worked great after that.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:09 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah I know what you maen I was just making a general statement about the spacer putting the oil pump 3MM farther out and you answerd my question I have the same setup on two vehicles
so I was wondering if it happened once or everytime?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

i'm running a double rollmaster with the asp underdrive pulley and have no problems at all with it
Old 07-12-2003, 03:42 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

That is what I am talking about some people don't have any problems and some do. You did not have to have your pulley machined the 3MM to have all the pullies lighn up correct?
Old 07-12-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the SLP timing chain is the one that causes the problem.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

This has been debated over and over. There have been a few that DID not modify the pulley and it fit fine. Then there have been some that say there was no way it would fit without modifying the snout. I think most of them had problems with the SLP double roller chains, but I would modify it just in case no matter which double roller chain you use!

Here is a short writeup of what needs to be doneI hope this helps)
In preparation for the install of Roll Master's dual roller timing set, I modified my ASP UD pulley to compensate for the oil pump spacers included with the Roll Master set. The spacers measure approximately .115" thick, moving the pump foward a like distance. This will create interference with the pulley which must be turned down an appropriate distance.
In the picture below, the dimension marked A was increased from .187" to .387" and the original 45 deg. chamfer was then added. This should ensure adequate clearance between the oil pump and pulley.