Sponsored by:

heads & cam combo questions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heads & cam combo questions/advice

I had bought a set of heads and cam for my 2000 WS6 M6
Don't have flow numbers on the heads but I plan to get MTI to flow them.
They are GTP heads. Porting is supposed to be "stage2" but with stock size Ferra valves.
I also have Manley Springs and titanium retainers. They are assembled and ready to go like this.
I also have a C1 cam 222/222 .566/.566 112LSA. I bought this cam because my TA was M6.
Well I've sold that car and I'm buying a corvette. But the vette is going to be an A4.

Should I put this combo in as is? I also have an LS6 intake.
Should I get the same cam (C1)in a 114 LSA instead?
I've thought about going with a TR224 on a 114. I was looking at this over the C2 because of a little less lift for longevity. Will this cam be good with these heads? Should I have the heads made into stage 2 with bigger valves and go with a bigger cam.

The car will be my daily driver and my wife will drive it occasionally when I need the SUV.
My goal is 400 hp at the wheels. I'll also be doing a pully, FLP headers, Borla stingers exhaust, blackwing intake, and MTI tuning. I want to maintain drivability. I don't mind a little lope, but nothing crazy. That's why I don't know if I should go with the 112 or 114 ( I know 114s are supposedly better in autos but I've seen 112 in autos and they aren't that bad i.e.TXCAMSS)

I don't plan on a converter yet. Maybe down the road. The car may go to the track once or twice a year. I want good power power throughout for daily driving.

Any input /suggestions /adive would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: heads & cam combo questions/advice

You should be able to hit or be close to 400rwhp with that setup. But, I would suggest a 114 if you can still exchange it. I got a 114 and it surges quite abit, even with tuning. Then again, my car is a freak car. For some reason it does NOT respond to mods well. It's liveable for a daily driver, but I was hoping I wouldn't have any surging since it seems like everyone else here goes with bigger cams and have no surging. At first it was kinda cool, but it gets kind of old in traffic.

But, even if you can't, since you're having MTI tune it, I'm sure they know all the little tricks to get it right. Besides, with the 112 at least it will bring the power band down a little lower so it'll be more useable on the street, and it'll sound cooler too.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Launching!

when you say "sounds cooler" what do you mean, 114 vs. 112.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

My vote is to not mess with getting a different cam for such a small change. You shouldn't have any drivability problems with that 112 cam if you can get it tuned right. I have a 228/236 XE-R cam in my car on a 112 lift .588/.602. With a lot of work on LS1 edit, my car behaves itself pretty well now.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. Any other opinions?

Just kind of talking out loud here. I would like to hear any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 12:09 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

The C1 is a GREAT street/strip cam.

I ran 10.8's 122 with it as my daily driver/work car back in the day when using MTI stage 2 heads.

Many freinds have run 427 rwhp with that same set up you have desribed.

Talk to texcammSS for examples of performance and longevity with that cam and some heads. He runs 10.8's with his set up and that cam in his wifes daily driver work car.

It works and works well if you set up for it properly.

Good luck
p.s., save youre money.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the C1 really need a converter to shine?

Jayson was talking to me about their new "stealth" cam 220/220 .581/.581 115

Says make about the same power as B1

Works well with stock converter

I don't know about putting a converter in, this is my daily driver, plus that's more $$ and I'm spending alot to begin with, don't have much more left
Old 07-18-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

when you say "sounds cooler" what do you mean, 114 vs. 112.
the 112 will have a slightly "lopey" idle..which some people love..i duno why . The 114 will idle a little better and peak higher in the powerband. The 114 will also help out for emissions
Old 07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say that it has stock sized valves? I thought that anytime you had heads ported, but stock size valves, that means its a Stage 1 head?

Either way, I agree with the estimates that people here have said. You will have no problem getting over 400 RWHP with that setup. 427 HP might be a little optimistic, but if you hit it, then great!

Lastly, it is not worth another $400 to buy a brand new cam just to change the lift by that small amount. If you are getting it for free, them go for it, but personally, I love the sound of a 112LSA! If you have time, you can download my video of my car running. Click on the link in my sig and go to the Media Gallery.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Supposedly they did a little more porting than they normally would with just stage one. But yea they are just stage one heads.

Also I was looking at switching the cams for drivablility issues. Didn't necessarily want to get a converter. That would be just more $$ to spend that I don't really have. The "stealth" cam works well with stock converter. I know cams like the 224 like converters.

That was all...just trying to take in my options, get different opinions, etc. I like to have input from diff. people. Someone may be looking at it from a diff. perspective then me.